Thursday, August 14, 2008

Stranger things have happened

A couple of months ago I lost an earring. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, mostly because I have an allergy to nickel which means I have to wear the good stuff, which means $$$. So I bought a 14k gold pair of small hoops for day-to-day wearing and wear my hypoallergenic stuff (which still breaks me out in spite of claiming to be nickel-free) for special occasions, like church or stuff like that.

But one day a couple of months ago, I reached up to check my earrings, as I do from time to time for no apparent reason, one was missing. I checked the usual places and all over the house but it seemed the earring was gone for good.

Tuesday night, I got home from Bible study and parked the truck in the driveway where I normally park it, but apparently I parked a couple of feet back from the usual spot. When I opened the door, I happened to look down and there glinting in the dark was my lost earring.

And this is after the deluge we had a couple of months ago that resulted in major flooding in the county.

Lest you think this is a one-time event, let me tell you about Zach's video game that disappeared from my purse in the summer only to be found the next spring in the thaw, lying in a patch of melting snow. Same driveway. Nearly same spot.

I'm hearing some freaky scifi music playing in the background.

On the knitting front, not much going on. I frogged the shawl, because I decided I prefer rectangular shawls and this is going to an elderly lady at church and I don't think she would want triangular anyway. I mananged to get Aran Knitting by Alice Starmore from the library today. The Mayville library has it. I love the Celtic patterns and most of the Aran ones, but I'm not a huge fan of the designer. I don't know if her reputation is deserved or not, but I think she takes creative control of her designs to the extreme and it really makes me not want to buy anything of hers. 'Nuff said.

I don't know if I will make anything from the book, but it sure is lovely eye-candy, all those designs.

I need to finish up the charity baby hats for my online support group's project...if I can find them. I put them someplace safe. Apparently it's even safe from me.

My sister is letting go of her longtime roommate this Friday at 5:15 p.m. Her beloved Emily the cat is going over the Rainbow Bridge because she's had some serious health issues and her quality of life isn't anymore. She'll be blogging about it later with a last picture of the two of them. (Peg's Journey) It really brings up some painful memories for me when I had to let Pearl make her journey. I have never cried so hard over anyone else in my life. It's been over 2 years and I still blink back tears. She was a part of my life for 17 years.

On a happier note, I got The Golden Compass dvd from the library and am happily ensconced in my bedroom knitting a wave and shell shawl. I'll dig out the url for it later.

TTFN

No comments: