Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today we vote

I ended up spending a great deal of the night reading because the pain woke me up and kept me up.  Watching tv didn't help either so I turned it off and read Pillars of the Earth.  I also watched two episodes of the mini-series, which apparently didn't stop being shown on the date they said it would.  I feel better but stiff today.  My arthritic knees are complaining about the coming winter and spending time on my knees scrubbing the bathtub yesterday didn't endear me to them so they complained all night, along with the burning pain in my legs and back from the fibromyalgia.

I had to rip back 4 rounds on the doily/altar cloth last night because I missed a stitch on one pineapple and it's not something I could fix.  I'm almost back to where I was before.  I am working on a tweed type pattern on the sweater.  I need something that doesn't require a lot of concentration and isn't tedious. It's not a bad pattern and looks well with the color.  I haven't worked on the poncho much lately but it's an easy pattern to pick up.  It's just that the Autumn Equinox (Alban Elfed) is coming up and I'd like to have my altar decorated for it.  So I'm giving the doily priority.

I've been using the water that drips from the faucet in the bathtub while taking showers for various uses.  I got one full dishpan to wash dishes, I used one nearly full bucket for scrubbing the bathtub and today I used a nearly full bucket to add water to the washer for a load of clothes.  It's amazing how much water was just wastefully going down the drain for the past couple of years.  We never used to have the problem but Tom, uh, fixed the shower head and ever since then we've had problems with it. It's not a problem if you use the run off but we haven't for two years.

I've had to put off hanging clothes out because Tom is practicing his bow skills before his hunting trip the end of this month.  But I have to get some clothes out now before the weather turns.  Not that I've seen the forecast but we've had some lovely days that I didn't get clothes hung out.

I have plenty of green tomatoes so the supply will keep up for another month or so.  The peppers were a disappointment.  I had two plants that didn't give me a single pepper.  I've heard about problems with pollination this summer but I saw plenty of bees out there so I don't think that was it.  I think it was location water.  And maybe the seeds.  I think next spring I'll buy them from a nursery instead of Stuff Mart.  I've always had mixed success from SuffMart.

The birds are playing on the garage roof right now, which is even funnier because they're looking over the edge at Professor who seems oblivious to them.  I've had to refill the feeder nearly every other day so I wonder when winter is going to arrive if that is any indication of it.

We got some new neighbors two doors down in a duplex that normally I'd ignore but their cat is in our yard nearly every night and we can't let our cat out because of it.  Our cat is on a leash and while we keep a good eye out on him, not letting him get tangled or reach the trees he could climb, he's never been aggressive so I'm afraid another cat would wipe the floor with him.  Professor tolerates the black cat but I'm just not keen on someone else's pets in my yard.  They also have a huge dog, looks like a mix between a rottweiler and a boxer who they don't keep on a leash.  He stayed in their yard but I don't know if he would take off after another animal (like Professor with the barkiness) and eat him up.  Also their kids play in the streets and three times now I've had to stop the car to wait for them to mosy out of the road with their baseballs, soccer balls and bicycles.  They have a huge backyard, bigger than ours, yet they play in the streets.  I don't make official complaints but there are people in this neighborhood who do.

Well, off to vote in the primary.  Saw a blurb on the tv about a woman who said she only votes in presidential elections because she's just not interested in anything else.  I wonder what she thinks Congress and her local politicians do. But I'm going to be lazy and drive there today and give my knees a break.  I'll take Professor around the block later tonight.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Oh man! I forgot all about voting!!
Darn!