Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Another year older and deeper in debt

For those of you who don't know the reference, it's from a song sung by Tennessee Ernie Ford from my childhood called 16 Tons.  Except I changed the word day to year.  Because I can.

Yep...today is my birthday and I have to subtract to find out how old I am because I've been known to remain the same age for 3 years running before.  Just a memory lapse, not an attempt to seem younger.  Really.

Yesterday was just a crap day.  Tired, achy and depressed.  More about my lack of determination to get healthy than anything else so I psyched myself up last night and am set upon a course to get healthy, get my blood sugar down and enter into Autumn with a new outlook on life.  Because, dear friends, today is the last day of Summer.  Autumn arrives at 10:09 p.m. and offers up a new season, freshly unpacked and unused. 

I managed to get some knitting in last night but it was mostly unraveling because apparently knitting when I'm dead tired isn't a good idea.  I had to frog back two pattern repeats on the poncho because the leaves didn't look like leaves at all.  I made it back where I was when I had to rip back but no more.  I also had to unravel Zach's hat because I dropped a stitch and couldn't pick it up again.  I'm knitting it in Nature's Choice Organic Cotton from Lion Brand and it's less elastic, less give so I couldn't just fix it.  It's also harder on my hands knitting it but it will make a nice hat for him to wear.

Normally Zach and I go out to eat on my birthday but I am loathe to spend that much money on a restaurant, plus I'm trying to do the South Beach Diet for a while to get my lab numbers where the doctor won't yell at me and since my physical is due next month, I'd better get busy.  Instead we're just hitting a fast food place where I can have a salad and chicken, which is pretty satisfying and will inflict less guilt all the way around.

Tom is leaving this weekend to go up north for bow hunting.  It's his first season for it so he's pretty excited.  I hope he gets a deer but I'm going to have to rearrange the freezer to make room for it.  I plan on getting some heavy cleaning done while he's gone.  It's not time to winterize the house yet but I can do the pre-winterizing stuff okay.

I'm watching the weather because I still have tomatoes and zucchini out in the garden.  I don't want them to freeze and although that's not a worry this week, it has been known to happen in October and that's not that far away.

Well, I'm off to get some work done before we leave.

TTFN

No comments: