Saturday, September 25, 2010

Deer Widow bow season-day 1

I thought I had some good news on the health front last night but I was wrong.  My blood sugar has been high for the past week in spite of efforts to watch what I eat, rigidly, and exercising.  It occurred to me that it might be my meter since when I bought a new box of test strips, the numbers went through the roof so I bought a new meter (trust me, the meters are dirt cheap, it's the test strips that will bankrupt you as the insurance company won't pony up a penny for them) and the first sample I took was perfect.  In fact, my numbers were very low.

Not so fast though.  This morning it was high again.  Not as high as previously, but still too high for my comfort levels.  And by that I mean, not high enough for medical intervention or insulin or anything like that, but high enough that the doctor would lecture me for an hour on not taking care of myself.

So I'm sticking with trying to make better choices and getting on with the exercising.  My blood sugar this afternoon was well within normal ranges, even if at the top of the scale.  I'm getting there.  I even tried to make better choices when we went out to eat tonight in honor of Tom leaving to go bow hunting.

I can only do the best I can and if the doctor thinks I can do better, she should try to walk in my shoes for a week or so.

It's definitely a wake up call.

Tom headed north this afternoon but the house is now trashed because it's impossible to clean with him around.  He has presence and gets in the way a lot, after telling me today that I wouldn't last on board a ship because you have to learn to do things in small spaces with lots of people around you.  I bit back a reply that I didn't have to because I was no longer in the Navy and this wasn't a ship.  But I smiled and let it go because in the scheme of things, I get my own way eventually.  I'll do the cleaning this week while he's gone.

It's getting cooler.  Tonight will be in the 40s so I have the windows on this level shut.  Not the basement or the upstairs but I might if it gets too cold.  I wore the vest Tom bought me for my birthday. I really didn't get vests until I wore it and am now appreciative of them.  Plus I like how it looks on me.

Tonight will be spent sorting through a huge black garbage bag full of mostly Red Heart yarn that will either go to the thrift store or the trash depending on how tangled up it is.  I decided this was a priority when I went looking for something in my closet and the bag spilled out all over the hallway and every time I tried to stuff the multitude of balls back in the bag, more would spill out.  It's time to downsize my stash and get rid of things I just won't use.  I plan on saving some of it back for window snakes for the winter but the bulk of it will go bye-bye.

I ripped back the sweater again to the ribbing and am just knitting a plain stockinette sweater because that's what the yarn wants to be.  It told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn't interested in either color work or texture so I will listen to it and make it simple and plain.  And if I don't, it won't be ready this winter at all.

Well, I'm off to do some step aerobics while I watch tv and then spend the night going blind sorting yarn.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

I know, I can't get anything done with my husband home either!
I did get some de cluttering done today and thought of you. It looks a little better.
Onward
Vicki