Friday, September 17, 2010

Hoping it's the start of several good days.

I'm having a pretty good day today.  I didn't get a lot of sleep but it was uninterrupted until 7:30 a.m. when Professor wanted to go out and sit on the porch to admire his domain.  But I got back to sleep after bringing him back in and slept for another two hours.  Then I got up for good and hit the ground running.  I had to hang out some laundry because there is a chance of rain in the forecast and wanted to get as many loads dry as I can before it happens.  I've got two loads out and another in the washer.  That load will overnight on the lines because the chance of rain is low but more importantly, I don't want them to reek when I pull them out once the threat of rain is over.  I'm gambling that it won't rain, actually.

Which probably means it will.  But at least the rain water will soften the clothes.  I stopped using fabric softener a long time ago, using white vinegar instead, but after forgetting it in a load and noticing no difference, I stopped using it, too.  Morning dew is the best softener anyway.

I'm making progress on the doily.  I'm ready to start the points but I had to get more yarn.  I'm not sure if one more skein will be enough but it will be enough for now.  I also went back to argyle on the sweater because nothing else satisfied and once I'm done with the doily I can spend more time on it.  I only got a couple of rows done on the poncho though because my eyes were crossed from lack of sleep.  And yeah, it makes sense to go to sleep if you're that sleepy.

I'm having problems with my blood sugar for some reason.  It's been high and going up instead of down while I'm trying to fix it.  I cut out all sugar and it didn't help so I'm going with exercise and a South Beach type eating plan.  I'm going to try to stay away from all high glycemic index foods from now on.  I'm on metformin but don't want to go on anything else.  I am watching my sugar diligently.  I guess this is my wake-up call to get busy and get healthy.

My knees are giving me a hard time.  I walked in the back door and had to hold onto the door frame to get my leg lifted enough to clear the threshold.  This cool spell has woken up all my various aches and pains.  I've started taking two tramadol at night instead of waiting to discover that one pill isn't enough.  I get relief within an hour instead of waiting it out for 4 hours and still being in pain.  I just don't like to take them during the day because while I'm still in pain, I can occupy my mind and it doesn't debilitate me.  Unless I want to use my knees for something, like going up and down the basement steps.  I mostly just hobble up and down them.  It's the main reason my bedroom is in the living room...I can't handle going upstairs (or down) anymore.

Hopefully I can get some of this weight off, which will bring some relief to my poor knees.  And maybe this year I can avoid slipping on the ice and landing on them.  I didn't last winter.  Last winter, I landed on my head.  I'd like to avoid falling altogether this year.

Well, off to work in the kitchen and dining/living room.  I've discovered I get a lot more done if I don't go online first thing.  I just started the computer up a half hour ago and I don't plan on staying here long.

TTFN

No comments: