Friday, July 31, 2009

Where have all the sunflowers gone?

As you may have noticed on the side bar, I made my pledge of reading one book a week for a year. That we still have nearly half a year to go probably didn't escape your notice either. I was pretty sure I would make it. Honestly I thought I would be done a few weeks ago but I did get a bit lazy now and then. Plus I didn't log books I didn't finish and there were several I just read for the information I needed and didn't read the whole book. So in all likelihood, I probably read a few more than that and did indeed finish by the end of June.

I love rationalizing.

I went out to water my sunflowers today only to find them gone. Three of them completely gone and one with just the stem left. I suspect the bunnies. This seems to happen every year so I'm not sure what to do next year. I would like to see if I could grow more this season but the weather has been so wonky this summer I'm not going to risk it. It also makes me re-think having a huge garden next year. We did plan on fencing it in, but I'm not sure that would actually happen for various reasons so I'm most likely just going to have to get a job.

It looks like I'm going to have to do that anyway since I just balanced the checkbook and I'm holding my breath this month because of various large bills that come due every three months which will put us in the hole if I try to buy any food for the month. I told you we had been just getting by because of the 15% pay decrease. Now I'm sure we won't make it this winter unless I get a job. But where?

And I can't apply until I know Zach's schedule which, with his internship I won't know until late August or September.

Maybe we just won't use heat this winter.

I'm kidding. I'm kidding. Of course we'll use heat this winter.

Off to fix supper and then some reading tonight.

No comments: