Thursday, July 16, 2009

Is the week really almost over?

My day started out slow due to...wait for it...lack of sleep. I know. You're shocked that I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, aren't you?

Actually it had nothing to do with being a bit down about the doctor visit. I had a weird nerve pulse on the bottom of my foot that was just so annoying. It hurt. And it tickled. At the same time. Argh!! It drove me nuts.

I had a small burst of energy that enabled me to cook supper, make a muffin cake for strawberries and whipped topping (made with splenda, of course), two loads of clothes (I put the load of whites in the dryer because every white sock in the house was in the dirty clothes and that would have taken up the entire clothesline. Well, most of it anyway. I'll hang the other load out tomorrow after Zach mows the yard. It looks like the temps will be in the low sixties tomorrow. I like it but the plants don't seem to care for these cool days. Although the strawberries are doing very well. I only planted half of them in the bit pot I have and I'm going to have to put them in the ground because they've spread out so much. I'm sure I can plant the rest of them at the same time.

I used the dish water to water my plants tonight. I had just enough for all of them, although the rain barrel is holding well. Tom did a good job of repairing it. We just didn't get enough water to reach the faucet yet. I learned from another blog that it takes ten days for mosquitoes to breed so in a few days, I'm going to empty out the rain barrel and use it up. It's not like we don't already have a good crop of the little critters.

I plan on baking bread tomorrow and maybe setting up a sour dough starter. I can only make one loaf at a time with the bread machine and three loaves with my sour dough recipe. Less time heating up the oven is good even if it means more manual labor. I also want to make some flour tortillas this weekend. I bought masa instead of trying to use while flour. I think they'll turn out better.

I also need to get my Encyclopedia of Country Living out and learn what I can about gardening for next year. I need to start preparing now. I've got a book on herbs on order at the library. I plan on having a huge herb garden next year.

But for now, I'm going to bed. I know it's still light outside but it's almost time for Midsomer Murders and I want to get to sleep earlier tonight so I can start switching my days and nights back to normal. I've gotten up early for the past three days and it's looking like that's going to be my biological time from now on since I'm not using the alarm and the dog isn't waking me up.

Hope so.

TTFN

1 comment:

MRS MJW said...

I am thinking of getting a rain barrel. What do you recommend?