Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunny Sunday

Church today was exceptional. Zach was acolyte and it appears his spiritual dry spell is at an end. Afterward at coffee hour I was able to catch up with some women I've become somewhat close to. At least while we're at church. Not so much outside of church, but it's a start for me. I think I'm learning how to make friends at last.

Online, I've gotten close to three women with some more in the makings. Things are looking up.

We have to go pay Zach's tuition tomorrow. I sure hope the financial aid comes through soon but for now we'll have to put it on the credit card. I can't get the lower rate for this so it better come through before my next payment. But if last year is any indication, it will be November before we see it.

Early this morning I saw the neighbor's (from two doors down) black lab outside weeing on a tree. I see that dog all over this street and considering the high traffic of the highway behind us, I would think they would be more careful. Then as we were leaving for church, we saw a car stopped in the middle of the road and a man dragging an Irish setter by its collar trying to get it out of the road. Further down the block west of us a woman was calling for the dog so the man let him go and he raced home. I'm getting very wary about letting Professor out on his leash anymore if these big dogs are going to be allowed to run loose all over the neighborhood. One of them, albeit a small one, has already hurt the Prof and we sure don't want him getting even more injured.

Fortunately all the kids in our neighborhood are very well-behaved. They're out and about and can get a bit loud and rowdy but that's just being kids. They don't get on anyone's property. They don't play in the street. And they aren't so loud you can't watch tv or take a nap.

And although some of the adults have had some parties this summer, they haven't been exceptionally loud and they shut them down before midnight. People smile and wave when they pass each other and help each other out with snow blowers or even mowing parts of the elderly neighbors' yards.

It really is a very good neighborhood except for a few stray dogs.

I'm making baked ziti tonight but I'm using the last of my ground beef. I thought I had more in the freezer so I'm going to have to go to the store tomorrow to get more. It's a staple here because I can use very small amounts for just flavoring and stretch the food bill a bit further. The days of meat as a separate entity on the plate are gone for the year. I've got to figure out a way to lower the food bill and more meatless and near-meatless meals are a must from now on.

I'm trying to convince Tom to stop throwing out the water in the dish pan that I leave in the sink to catch the water we use to rinse things off or wash our hands. He thinks the water will stink. I told him it won't be in the sink long enough for that because I have an empty milk jug sitting by the stove to store the used water in but he threw the water out even after I asked him to so I can only do what I can.

I know it's penny stuff and we need to find dollar stuff to save on but it's a start. And it's the mindset that enables you to find other ways to be frugal. If the penny things aren't worth saving, the dollar things will go by the wayside, too.

Well, off to finish supper up. I think we'd better use the salad stuff up early in the week. I've been trying to make it last and by the middle of the week it's wilty and wet and not appetizing. We can use frozen veg in the latter part of the week and fresh early on.

TTFN







1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Baked ziti sounds yummy. I know we have dogs running loose in our neighborhood also. Dangerous, I worry they will get run over, I have been in the middle of at least one dog fight.
Take care
Vicki