Monday, July 13, 2009

Bleary Monday

I meant to get up early today and get a fresh start but I was still awake when the alarm was supposed to have gone off. I turned it off when I realized I wasn't going to get to sleep so at least I didn't have that heart-stopping sound to deal with.

What kept me up last night? Probably a combination of things. Zach submitted his financial aid update in early April, they acknowledged it and we settled in to wait. He got a letter from the school in May that they needed proof of our tax returns so we turned those in the day after we got the letter, not wanting to impede the process. Last week we got an email from the financial aid people saying they just received the updated financial aid packet. Updated????? We didn't update anything! And now his tuition is due in 9 days and we have no financial aid in sight.

Yeah...I lost some sleep this weekend.

He's going in this week to talk to the financial aid people at the campus to see what happened. All I can do is put his tuition on the credit card yet again. With him not getting more than 10 hours a week, he didn't make enough money for the tuition and we sure don't have it in savings. Heck, I haven't been able to stick any money away all summer.

Which brings me to the other problem: Tom's pay won't be going up until next year so we've got to somehow manage to get Zach to school in Fond du Lac and heat the house on the amount of money we're just getting by on now. But he's expected to work full time in exchange for some future "reward." I told Zach we might need his savings to pay for gas. At least this will be the last semester as he plans on getting just the IT Tech Support degree for now.

See why I didn't get much sleep this weekend?

But we did make it to church, which was weird but okay. Hardly anyone was there. I'm not sure why. Summer vacations? I don't know.

One of the ladies at church gave me a huge bag of yarn she got at a church rummage sale. I took it home and sorted it out to see if any of it could be used for baby blankets for the newborns in our sister church in Haiti. Most of it was Caron Simply Soft in lovely colors that I could make three blankets out of but some of it was an acrylic yarn of some kind which was much too rough for a baby blanket but would work well for a dog's blanket for the Humane Society. And one small ball of wool that I might be able to make wrist warmers out of but nothing else.

I plan on crocheting the blankets because it would take forever to knit one and since I have three to produce, I'll go with the fastest route. I found a pineapple doily I would love to turn into a blanket but it would be much too open for newborn fingers and toes so I think I'll turn some of my stash into that blanket for something pretty for my bedroom/living room.

I think today will be a day of errands instead of a huge work day since I'm working on about 3 hours sleep...and not uninterrupted sleep at that. Hopefully we'll get some resolution at the school today and find out there was no revision, that's just what they called the updated version. But I can't figure out why it took them three months to receive something they said they got in April.

TTFN

No comments: