Friday, July 24, 2009

If you can't whine when you're sick, when can you whine?

Somebody shoot me! Oh, my head is about to burst open. I told you I was going to be a big baby about this cold, didn't I?

It's not actually a cold. Feels like a sinus infection which means echinacea, nasal spray, ibuprofen for pain and daytime cold medicine. And lots and lots of rest.

Except I need to bake bread tonight (I use the bread machine to mix it and knead it...for now...) and hang a load of clothes on the racks. Or outside. I'm waiting for the local forecast on the Weather Channel to see just where the rain is. It's pretty dark outside so I may just go ahead and use the racks. And I'm making potato soup tonight for supper. That and a salad will balance us out since we use cheese and fake bacon bits in it. Zach won't eat potatoes so he's making himself some Ramen with green beans.

We tried to drive past Wendy's today but in spite of eating lunch both of us were really hungry by the time we made it through most of the errands and before our trip to StuffMart. So we stopped and got a couple of things off the dollar menu and me being a senior citizen now (at 55 no less) we got the value sodas free. I think she made a mistake and gave Zach a free one, but I'm not sure. Part of me says I should have brought it to her attention but the tired, headachy side said it was karma for all the times they didn't give me my discount. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though.

Well, it looks like more rain is on the way so I'll be using the rack indoors. I think it will be okay. I've got to get back in the frugal mindset from now on. I talked to Tom about it a bit today and he's onboard for the huge garden for next summer and learning how to do urban homesteading. He wavered about going hunting this year but I encouraged him to go and will cross my fingers, light a few candles and maybe make him a talisman of sorts so we've got a better chance. He hasn't gotten a deer in over 6 years. Usually the camp shares out what they get but the past couple of years the camp has only gotten one or two deer.

We'll have to look at fishing, too. He's got a license but won't go by himself and sitting in the hot sun miles away from a bathroom isn't my idea of a good time. Maybe he'll learn to like his own company and think of it more as a chance to be independent rather than a time to be with the guys.

It seems like feast or famine here. We went weeks without rain and now I've got too much rain for my storage capacities. I filled all the empty milk jugs with rain water and now with all the rain coming the next several days it looks like most of it will go to waste. I'm going to use some of it for mopping floors. The spigot is high enough on the barrel that the sludge sinks to the bottom so while it's not suitable for consumption or bathing it's okay for cleaning floors or maybe cleaning in the basement.

But not tonight. I'm going to hang up clothes, go make potato soup and then go to bed. Because I'm just a big baby.

No comments: