Tuesday, June 23, 2009

That was the sound of me screaming

I went to water the plants last night and the rain barrel was empty. It had been nearly full the day before last but I had noticed while I was filling the watering can, that there was a small leak at the bottom. But I thought it was just run off from what spilled over the can. Now I have to take it apart and find the leak and fix it. I'm so frustrated. I try to do the right thing and it inevitably breaks. I have felt like we were under a curse for the past 12 years. Seriously.

And today it's too hot to do anything. The heat index is supposed to be around 100 today and I don't want to use the a/c this early in the summer. I don't like to use it at all because of the cost but I will if we're really miserable. Thing is, we lost two fans last summer (they broke apparently) so we don't have the circulation we had last summer. I've got all the windows shut and the blinds and curtains closed and the window fan blowing to the outside so it's only about 85F but we haven't peaked yet.

After the sun goes down I'll go out and see about the rain barrel. I hate to spend more money this month since Tom is going to go up north anyway. Not with $100 though. No way do we have that. And the fifty is coming out of grocery money. I hate to use the credit card but it's going to be in the 90s all week long and that can really wear on you.

He's working five days a week now but only getting paid for 4. The owners have told them that if they just hang on with the company there will be a reward later. I doubt it. I'm terribly nervous about this coming winter. Zach's still only getting about 5 hours a week which isn't enough to pay for his upcoming semester if the funding doesn't come through. I hate this uncertainty. If I had the energy and health to work, I would. I used to put in 70+ hours a week but I just am a mess right now. And so out of touch with the work force that I have no skills. I haven't even gotten a call back from the fast food places I submitted applications to. I'm nearly 56 years old. Too old to go back to school and be guaranteed employment. I can't afford to spend the money to go back to school for a degree or certificate when I can't be sure it will result in a job. I keep wracking my brain trying to figure out how to use what few skills I already have. I keep coming up blank. There are a couple of things I have thought about but those get sabotaged every time I try them. Not that they would really have resulted in any income though.

And I really do look like the typical overweight housewife that you see in StuffMart. Not really appealing to an employer.

It's too hot to do much inside. I didn't get the floor mopped yesterday so I planned on doing it today but not until later when it cools off. Definitely too hot to do any baking so no bread today. And I don't want a lapful of yarn today. I might get my cotton out and knit on some grocery bags. I need to go upstairs and see if there are any spare fans up there and to see if Tom put the window fan in to draw the heat out. He kept leaving the upstairs door open today and the smoke from his cigarettes kept drifting into the living room and Zach's bedroom. Ack! I felt like gagging.

I tried reading a bit this afternoon but fell asleep. Professor is miserable and can't find a spot that's cool enough. I misted him by spraying water into the air from the fan and he seemed to love that but he's back to panting and pacing. Hannibal is sleeping in the bathroom which seems to be the warmest place in the house.

I just checked and the heat index is 93 which is not my upper limit so the a/c stays off.

Well, I've got to go searching for more fans so...

TTFN

No comments: