Sunday, June 21, 2009

I must have dreamed it

I was sure I posted yesterday. Apparently I dreamed it. I wish I could remember what I posted in my dreams so I wouldn't have to come up with something for today.

Happy Father's Day! I have to call my dad later. He's most likely at my sister's house today or at least taking his nap right now. He's still going strong at 76, which is hard to imagine. He's had COPD for over 20 years and still hangs on. Not just hangs on, he thrives. He volunteers at the hospital as a Redcoat and does a lot of administrative things that have really innovated the way they do things. They absolutely love him there. When I say going strong, I don't mean he has the energy to tackle anything. He's still a very weak man, on oxygen all the time and does tend to sleep a lot when he's home. But he still loves to hop on his riding mower to take care of not just their yard but the disabled neighbor's yard.

I love you, Daddy!

Zach got Tom a pocket watch for Father's Day. Well, the kind you clip on your belt loop. When I say Zach got it, I really mean I got it for him. He didn't want to get him anything but I always make sure he does and that it's from him and not me. Normally I buy Tom something for Father's Day, too. I always have. But he never gets me anything for Mother's Day (and let's not forget the infamous year and a half when he didn't buy me anything for any event) so this year I didn't buy him anything. He didn't seem to notice.

This year Zach will be 21 and I'm not going to require that he buy Tom anything anymore. He's a man now and can make decisions on his own. I will back completely out of their relationship (what relationship?) and let them figure it out on their own. Maybe I've been wrong to insist Zach buy him presents but I really didn't want to hurt Tom's feelings. Maybe by doing that I prolonged the inevitable: that Tom would realize that Zach doesn't want anything to do with him and maybe wonder why. Nah! I doubt it.

At any rate, I'm washing my hands of it all. Whatever happens between them, is between them from now on.

I'm waiting until Monday afternoon (after Tom leaves for work) and am going to clean up the yard again. We look like the neighborhood slums, I kid you not. Junk all over the back patio, ladders and piles of junk in the back yard and the garage door wide open. And Tom is upstairs sleeping or watching television and smoking. I tried to clean the kitchen up a bit and will put the tools back in the cupboard because otherwise I have no room on the counters to fix supper tonight.

And he laid some stuff on one of my flower beds, the flowers that I have reminded him at least 6 times were there. You know...if I treated him with this little respect, he would have left me years ago.

Ohhhh...there I am ranting again. So sorry.

I'm reading Mists of Avalon these days. A huge book and although it seems like I've spent a lot of time on it, I'm still so near the beginning of it. But it's good even if I don't look at it as a handbook for pagan ways. I don't think I'm so much pagan as I am questioning just what Christianity is really supposed to look like without all the man-made stuff added to it. I remain as confused as I was a year ago when this really started weighing on my mind. I imagine I will never have the answers I'm looking for, but instead will try to enjoy the journey of questions.

I didn't make it to church today because the sugar I ate last night sat on my stomach like a rock and I was afraid to lie down to sleep. So I spent most of the time trying to keep myself propped up. As a result I didn't sleep much until my stomach quieted down about 5 a.m. And I woke up at 10 when I heard Professor outside barking.

I cleaned the mice cage out again and only found a small amount of critters. I only found 2 on the mice although there might be more there. I tried to get them off but Ayeka kept squealing like I was killing her. And I was barely touching her! I hope I got them all but by keeping the cage cleaned out every day I'm at least keeping the population down.

Well, I'm off to pick up Zach and maybe take a nap before I call my dad.

TTFN

No comments: