Friday, June 5, 2009

A Good Friday

Still not much sleep but I did get some yard work done today.  Tom was out there helping Zach and me and it felt pretty good to have us all together again.  He even fixed a huge lunch for us all.  But I know that these things have a cycle and I can only enjoy it when it's good while waiting for the other shoe to drop.

We had an old Weber grill that the legs were falling off of.  I had bought it at a yard sale nearly 20 years ago for $5.  It's traveled all over California and ended up in Wisconsin.  But it's not too sturdy anymore.  We used the propane grill that Tom's brother gave us several years ago.  The gas part doesn't work but we can still put charcoal in it and cook that way.  So I took the old grill, removed the legs and set it behind the garage and piled some huge rocks around it.  So now we have a fire pit of sorts but because it's still a grill with a lid, I don't think we have to worry about a permit or anything.  I mean it's not going to be a huge fire and it's no different from cooking out.  I found some old lawn chairs that really need to be re-webbed and set them out there. Should be nice if we can keep the mosquitoes away.

We also put some netting over the cherry tree.  We only have a dozen or so cherries this year but last time all the birds got them before we did.  I got this netting at our church rummage sale a couple of years ago.  Free.   We were clearing up and the less we had to haul away the better so we were taking stuff home.  This was a long wedding veil until I cut the tiara off.  I was wearing it while I was weed-eating today.  Zach thought it was the perfect accessory.  Tom also created a webbing for the grapevine to climb and we got the weeds raked up.  I finally found the roses. They were hidden behind the weeds.  We're going to wait until Monday to mow.  The grass just isn't that high and with gas prices creeping up, I'm not going to mow just because the neighbors did.  I'll mow when the yard needs it.

I've got my drawing mojo back.  I found a great book at the library that works on shading and texture, which is what I really needed to work on now.  I fooled around with it a bit but I'm so tired that I don't plan on doing anything that requires a lot of concentration right now.  

I've been reading The Strain, by Guillermo del Toro.  Wow!  This guy can really write.  The pictures he draws with words is absolutely amazing.  It's about an airplane that has landed at La Guardia but all the passengers are dead.  There's a vampire involved but I haven't gotten too far into it.  But the writing is excellent.  Such a refreshing change from some of the good but not great literature I've been reading lately.

It was a beautiful today.  I need to get some plants watered but aside from that, I'm down for the count.  The water barrel is full and it's supposed to rain tonight but I can only use so much water.  I've been filling empty milk jugs and empty apple juice containers.  Come August we don't get a lot of rain and I can use what I've store.  Each week I gain another milk jug.

The elephant ears never came up and the flower strips I put down didn't produce any flowers so I guess I'm going back to seeds.  Maybe tomorrow though.  I need to space out my energy usage or I'll be back on the couch for a day or two.

Off to watch the last show of last season's True Blood, then the second season of Sex and the City.  I'm beginning to feel like Odysseus's Penelope in that the sock I'm knitting has been tinked back to the same starting point three days in a row.  That's how tired I've been when I sit down to knit at night.

TTFN

No comments: