Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Still working on with a sleep deficit

In spite of little sleep yet again, I accomplished some things today. Not a lot, I'll grant, but enough that I feel pretty good about the day.

I planted four sunflowers that I will probably have to re-plant because the squirrels are impatient and won't wait until it's grown to get their seeds. And I'll try to get more planted on Thursday. I also planted some columbine in front of the dining room window. I've got a wild flower growing there that I don't remember planting but it's lovely and now I want more. Tomorrow will be rainy so it will be Thursday before I get more planted.

I also got some herbs moved to bigger planters. I figured out some of what is there: sweet marjoram and maybe some sage. Beyond that I'll have to wait a bit longer to find out. I need more dirt from StuffMart in order to transplant the other stuff and to plant the strawberries. I'm thinking of putting them on the east side of the garage, near the fire pit Weber grill. Unfortunately that's next to the compost pit but there is no odor so I think I'm safe.

And Zach and I are going to start turning the soil on the side of the hill that isn't the prairie garden because it's out of reach of the pets' leashes and wasted ground for the most part. I'm going to plant the onions and squash and pumpkins there this year. Next year I'll make part of the hill my herb garden. Not this year though. Too much clay there. I need to supplement the soil somehow. Preferably with compost so I don't have to spend more money on dirt.

Zach got the yard mowed today and we both realized we are in bad shape and need to get fit. I sure hope we can find the motivation to get there.

I took down my "studio" because it's awkward to use. Tom is right there looking over my shoulder and I much prefer sitting on the couch anyway. I'm not too creative sitting hunched over a card table on a folding chair. So I put the rocking chair there so I can view the computer monitor from there and also listen to podcasts as well. Now I need to find a place for my art supplies. I can use the dining table for those things that require more room since no one ever uses it to eat at. It's mostly a place to dump things.

And I've moved my altar from the dining table into the living/bed room. I got a book from the library that a friend recommended called The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, about Sue Monk Kidd's spiritual journey into the feminine. I'm really looking forward to it but I have to get back into The Strain as well, since it's due back next Friday. I feel very good about this journey so forgive me if I bring it up here from time to time. I don't normally talk about religious or political things on this blog. And maybe that should change. Still, I don't like preachy blogs and I don't want to become one. So...just in passing as it applies to my day, I think.

I finished the second season of Sex and the City. I'm hooked. I've got to order the third season but I need to catch up on some knitting, reading and drawing first. I must spend less time in front of both the computer screen and the television.

I started crocheting a shawl yesterday and was surprised how easily I fell back into crocheting. Jan has been putting out shawls like crazy on her side of the world and has inspired me into action. Only these are for me. I like something around my shoulders in the winter rather than bundling up all the time. And this will be good for those days at church when it's a bit cool but not cold enough for a coat.

I'm making this shawl in Red Heart Plush. Red, Red Heart Plush. So far, so good.

Well, I need to get away from the computer and get something useful done. I still have laundry down in the dryer and washer so I should get that done today so I can focus on reading, knitting and drawing tomorrow.

Sure hope I get some sleep tonight.

TTFN


No comments: