Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I have been duly squished

I finally got my mammogram today. I'm so glad it's over but things have improved a lot since I was there last year. They remodeled the facility and got new machines that are digital so there is less radiation and you can view the results immediately instead of waiting to develop the film. And they don't put you in agony at all. The plastic cover plate is flexible and molds around the breast instead of flattening it.

So...done for another year. I'll know the results next week but I have no reason to really worry about it.

I planted some columbine seeds about a week ago and keep looking for some evidence that I really don't have a brown thumb and can actually grow things but...I'd water and look: nothing. Water and look: nothing. Water and look: nothing. Today, on my way to the car to take Zach to vestry meeting I saw tiny little flowers growing. At least I hope they are flowers. I should know soon what they are.

Tomorrow is yard day. We've been trying to get out there all week but between the rain and the lack of sleep (yes, I've gotten to the point where it's the norm and not the exception so what's the point of blogging about it) I haven't gotten out there. Zach is going to mow the yard and I'm going to try again to plant things in the ground and in my pots. I know it's late in the season but maybe my perennials will grow and I can enjoy them next year. And I should be able to get some sunflowers in this season.

I also want to work on a little grove at the back of the yard, hidden by the bushes and the pear tree. Just a private place I can go to be alone since I have no place in the house like that. I really need privacy, a place I can go to be with my thoughts.

I got a Doris Chan book from the library today of crocheted lace projects. I'd gotten it before but wasn't ready to do any crocheting, I guess. There are a couple of shawls in there I might try. I know I've already got five projects going now, but this is for the future. I can always get the book again. I just want to look at them for now. I'm making progress on my shawl so far. This one I'm keeping. It's made from Red Heart Plush and is very red in color so I think I'll make that my fire shawl. I decided I wanted a shawl that represents all the elements. I have a blue shawl in the making that can be water and some brown yarn in my stash that could be earth. I'm not sure what to use for air though. I have plenty of time to decide though.

Zach and I have to get busy on our weight, for sure. I got a phone call from Stephen, my older son, from the hospital. He'd had chest pains and drove himself to the ER. After hours of testing they found out he didn't have a heart attack but has damaged heart muscle that indicates he has had one in the past. And he also has diabetes. If this doesn't wake me up to the realization that I'm on a path to destruction health-wise, nothing will. And if I don't set the example, Zach will be where Stephen is, maybe sooner.

I've been trying (and failing) at changing to vegetarian because with my cancer history and obesity it's a healthy choice but this time I'm really going to try to make it work. And I'm still struggling to get off diet sodas. Or at least limit them. I bought some stevia packets (with a coupon I found on the shelf near them) and it's not bad at all. In fact, it was a bit too sweet and I only used half a packet. I don't want to use soy products though because with breast cancer that it estrogen driven, I don't want to have to worry about that aspect of it. Studies have been done on phyto-estrogens but there is no clear-cut answer on the dangers of it with breast cancer survivors. Besides, fake meat doesn't impress me. I'd rather just learn to eat differently than pretend I'm eating the same only with something that looks like meat but isn't. At least that's how I feel today.

I hope I can succeed this time.

Well, off to finish up the laundry and see if I can fumigate my bed. I'm being bitten by something in the night and I don't know what it is. I'm not going to use the mattress foam tonight so I can see if that's the problem. I don't seem to get bitten when I'm just sitting on the couch so why should I get bitten when I'm sleeping on it. I have washed all my bed stuff recently so I don't think that's the problem. If I don't find any new bites tomorrow, I'm trashing the mattress foam. I hate throwing it away but if it's got critters it can't do anybody else any good.

Hoping to get a good night's sleep like I did last night. Ten and a half hours' worth good, in fact.

TTFN

No comments: