Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Sunday blatherings

It looks like I'm going to have a car to drive tomorrow if the mosquitoes don't drain Tom's blood tonight.  Apparently Chryslers now are manufactured so you can't really work on them without removing the engine first so I've heard a lot of strange sounds coming from the driveway today.

Maniacal laughter being one of them.

No kidding.

Today is my dad's birthday so I called him to wish him many more.  But I interrupted the golf tournament so it was short and sweet.  No matter.  It's the thought that counts.

Tomorrow is mine:  number 55.  I'll finally be a senior citizen.  Even though I still feel a bit like a kid at times.  But that's okay.  I won't say no to those discounts.

I've done no knitting today although I worked on socks yesterday.  Today I've been cleaning, doing laundry and reading.  I'm reading a book called Selling Satan about Mike Warnke, who was a pretty famous Christian comedian in the 80's.  Turns out it was all a bunch of hooey.  He never was a Satanic high priest after all.  Made it all up.  Hmmmm....just like someone else I know of on Ravelry.

'Nuff said.

I did a lot of work on my bedroom yesterday.  I had been using the bottom of the armoir for my dresser and had the television on it but I desperately needed more storage room because I had stacks and stacks of books and magazines and music, and my yarn was in plastic bins under the bed and in corners.  I hated it.  

So I brought the top of the armoir from the basement (no small task), which meant I had to bring up an extra table for my tv.  I mused about it until Zach said that it was my bedroom, not an extension of the living room and I should have it the way I wanted it.  Besides, it turned out the armoir was sitting in a damp spot and would soon have become unusable.

Now it's good.  Crowded, but good.  And the television is closer to my bed without obstructing the heating vent (winter is coming up, after all) so I don't have to turn it up as loud.  But best of all, no stacks of anything and my knitting is all hidden in the armoir.  It actually looks like a bedroom now...aside from the piano in it.  Which I really need to get back to playing.

Oh, and I managed to sort through and find a big bag full of SuperSaver yarn to send to the thrift store tomorrow.  It wasn't the least bit painful after all.  And I have even more to sort through upstairs.  But that's for another weekend.

I'm itching to start many projects at once.  I'm almost done with a pair of worsted socks but nowhere near finishing anything else.  I'm thinking of knitting a balaclava for those nights of sitting in the car waiting for Zach.  I've got that Cascade 220 that would be toasty warm and would keep my neck warm without the bulkiness of a scarf.

I want to knit a scarf from my dorset handspun but I want something lacy and narrow.  And maybe a new pair of fingerless mitts so I can knit in the car.  The ones I have are acrylic.  I need wool.

I looked through my drawer and found a bunch of sock yarn leftover but nothing matches enough to use in a sock so I'm thinking of making baby socks for the food pantry.  I think I have enough and it's machine-washable.

I have all these ambitions but not a lot of follow-through.  I must work on that.

Well, off to watch Midsomer Murders (because everything came in to the library at once and I've got tons of things to watch this week) and work on my socks and Zach's sweater (which I need to download again because I lost it.)

And...I think the mouse is still around.  I didn't find any bits anywhere.  I have to admit I was rooting for the mouse.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you MANY, MANY happy knit-full years ahead! Fifty-five is the best... I celebrated mine last October and I truly believe life gets better with age.

WishfulBarbara

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! :)

You're making good progress on the things you want to do - just remember slow and steady. It will come together eventually :)

(Now, I need to go remind DH of that as he looks around at my home...)

knittingdragonflies said...

Happy Birthday! Wow you are really productive!
Vicki