Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cranky me and the burden of fibromyalgia

This is one of my fatigue days. I mean the kind of fatigue where you can't move from the chair without a supreme effort of will. Not the kind where you're tired from mowing the yard or painting the house. The kind that saps your will in addition to all your energy.

And it's invisible, of course, so no one really knows that you just can't do anything. They assume you're either lazy or just don't want to do anything. And while they might say the right things, their body language and their attitudes broadcast loudly that they are just placating you and don't believe a word of what they're saying.

I hate fibromyaglia. I really do.

I saw today while I was out back with Professor that the shingles on the roof are loose and we most likely have a leak in that area. I'm grateful we haven't had more rain this summer; otherwise, we'd have rotting wood about now. I'm nervous about telling Tom since he has the car to fix yet.

Anyway...I had to stop on the sweater last night to knit up a pair of slippers because I couldn't find mine and it's getting a wee bit chilly at night so I need them. I've just got the cuff to finish on one and they'll be wearable tonight when I get home.

But I'll knit on the sweater at Fond du Lac tonight while waiting for Zach. Truthfully, the time spent waiting for him is some of the best moments of my day. I'm comfortable in the car, with a blanket or pillow (it's cool at night), listening to my favorite audio books, knitting away. Or snoozing. I don't get strange looks anymore. I think both campuses are used to me by now. I know the office at Beaver Dam knows I'm there because someone there reads my blog occasionally.

We're going to be heating stuff up on Thursdays in the commons area because eating out just wasn't that satisfactory, especially considering how much we spent, even while economizing. So I got some Lean Cuisine stuff and Zach got some hot pockets and that should do us. That way I don't have to spend money on gas in addition to money on food. This is the hard part for me, figuring out meals to go. Zach has to eat on the way up there because we leave a bit too soon for him to eat supper but there's no time once we get there. So it has to be portable. Neither of us likes cold sandwiches much so I cook, put it in containers and he eats once we get to the halfway point. It's a 45-60 minute drive because of the rural highways and traffic so you can see that a half-hour or more makes a difference in meal times.

Tonight it's Chicken Helper. Tomorrow Hamburger Helper. Cheap meals, believe me, since I don't use a pound of meat in them, but about a quarter pound. It works out well though.

I'm off to begin supper now. Then all the packing up. I'm going to take a walk around the parking lot tonight, which is about a quarter mile. I'm working up to more laps. I don't like to just sit for 3 hours at a time. It aggravates my fibromyalgia to do that. I can avoid pain pills if I get up and walk when the pain gets bad. Except at night. I don't want to get up out of bed and take a walk at 3 a.m. so I do take the pain pills then.

I guess I'll be shingling the roof this weekend. What fun.

Cranky me is off to cook.

TTFN

No comments: