Friday, September 19, 2008

Aaarrgghh!

Aye, it be International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  But we won't be a doin' what we did last year when we tried to get our booty prescriptions from the pharmacy in Pirate talk.  It be too hard to try to get your pain pills from people who look at you like you be needin' detox instead.

cough...hack...wheeze...

Hurts my throat to talk like that.

Last night we got home around 11 p.m., unloaded the car and settled in for the night.  As I was shutting down the computer and straightening up the living room a bit, I heard Hannibal (the cat) scrambling around in the back hallway.  Seconds later he comes trotting into the living room with something gray and furry in his mouth.  Which he proceeded to let go in the living room where it ran under the desk, the couch and behind the entertainment center.

And the cat looks at me like I stole his favorite toy.

I was too tired to worry about it too much so I went to bed (my bedroom is off the living room and doesn't have a door to it...just curtains.

About 3 a.m. I heard Hannibal making some of the strangest meowing sounds so I turned on my light, and sat up in bed.  Professor, who was sleeping at the foot of my bed, perked up, hopped off the bed and walked over to the curtain, where he peered out into the darkness and then ran back to the bed and hopped up on it (well, he has an ottoman he uses to get up on the bed because he's so little he can't always hop up on the bed.)  Now this is the aggressive attack dog (part chihuahua/part pomeranian) who goes ballistic when a squirrel is anywhere in his line of vision and acts like he could take down a 600 pound bear by himself. 

Yes, Hannibal had found the mouse and was growling at something while holding it in his mouth. Then...history repeating itself...he let it go so he could chase it and...you guessed it...it got away again.  This time under my bed.  Where I store bins of yarn and knitting books and my drawing/art supplies.  No way the cat could get under there even if he knew that's where the mouse went.

It was 6:30 before I got back to sleep.

Oh, and Professor just watched while the mouse ran under the bed.  Then he looked at me like he expected me to do something about it.

So I'm tired and cranky today and I have all the errands (banking, library, shopping, etc.) to do today in addition to cleaning house.  Tom managed to start the dishwasher once this week but there is a sinkful of dishes to load back up and some to wash by hand, the living room to clean, bathroom to scrub and laundry to do.  Not to mention the yard work.

I never actually get a day off.  Not in 22 years of marriage.  Never had one.  His idea of vacations is to go camping where I cook on a campstove, wash dishes in a pan and clear away the leftovers and store the food so critters can't get it.

And he goes fishing or just sleeps all day.

Needless to say we haven't been on vacation together since we lived in California, over 12 years ago.

Anyway...I did manage to finish one sock of the generic worsted.  I have tons of bits and pieces off Woolease that I plan on using to make a bunch of mismatched looking socks because I like to wear them.  Maybe I'm related to Dobby or something (you know...house elf...Harry Potter.)  I did knit myself some Dobby socks two winters ago and they're still in good shape.  The difference in Cascade versus Woolease.

I got some more knitted on the Invisibility Shawl (worsted weight version) but I can't find the pattern for Zach's sweater so I may end up having to print it out again.

It's probably under the bed with the mouse though.

Maybe I should knit the mouse a little sweater to wear this winter.  I've got some sock yarn left over that would work.

Off to plow through the fatigue because I have no other choice.

TTFN

2 comments:

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

I laughed out loud when I read your blog. My late cats used to bring me presents like that. Same scenario with Nelson and a mouse. Took me ages to take it off him and dispose of it.
With Ollie it was a bird. I don't know which was worse!
My ex husband was the same as your husband. I hated holidays with him as a I seemed to do more cooking and washing up than when I was at home. Did I mention that he was frugal? Why waste good money on eating out when I could make something for a quarter of the price (whilst he took it easy of course) One reason he is my ex husband!

Mad about Craft said...

I think the mouse's jumper should be in Autumn colours to go with the season or maybe, red, for Christmas!