Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Just like Christmas

I went digging in my nightstand the other day and found these treasures.  They belonged to my late mother-in-law, who also knitted.  Probably much better than I did, but by the time I met her she only knitted garter-stitch slippers so I only got to hear of her wonderful accomplishments from her children.


I hope someday to knit out of them because they do seem like terrific patterns, especially the socks.  I've never knit argyles but I hope to.  Someday.  By the way, some of those booklets are from 1947.  I love it.


This is the Invisibility Shawl from Charmed Knits.  Only in worsted weight.  I'm using a Hobby Lobby yarn.  Can't think of the name of it and the labels are long gone.  But it's soft and will work well for the lady-in-mind's needs.  Not a great picture, I know but I didn't have a good place to lay it out flat.  The color is right on though.  At least on my computer.


You probably won't hear from me until the weekend because of my schedule.  I'll be spending 12+ hour days up in Fond du Lac Wednesday and Thursday and Friday is my day of many errands.  I hope to write Friday night but it depends on how tired I am.

The fibromyalgia has the fatigue factor that is always there even when the pain isn't.  I'm not sure which is worse.  I can take pain pills but can't take anything for that boost of energy.  At least nothing legal.  I'm still struggling to get out of the diet mentality.  I still feel guilty every time I eat anything, even the good stuff, and I still want to binge because I feel deprived.  I've got 20 years of brainwashing to rid myself of so I'm sure it will take time.  In the meantime I'm trying not to stress out about my upcoming physical and what the dr might say.  Or might not say.

I've not been on Ravelry as much lately (which doesn't mean I haven't been there...just not as much as I was before) and there is something on my mind that I just have to speak about.  Back when I was on AOL's message boards, I was young and naive about people.  I generally believed everything they said about themselves.  Then, a woman on my email loop turned out to be a complete fraud.  She had invented a persona that everyone believed in and loved.  I felt so betrayed when I found out she wasn't who she said she was.

As a result, I tend to view people on Ravelry with a skewed eye.  Most people, I'm okay with. It's the ones with outlandish histories that I scoff at.  One in particular has done everything, had every experience you can imagine, is an expert on all issues to do with Christianity, ghost-hunting, demonology, motherhood, marriage, the military, you-name-it.  And she's not yet 30.  I want to follow her around and tell people not to believe her but I'm pretty sure that would be stalking.  It's so frustrating to see people adore this woman when I'm almost certain she's nothing but an attention-seeker who is succeeding at getting that attention.  

If you did a timeline on all she's said, it wouldn't add up at all.  But no one ever bothers to.

I'm just saying that people should be circumspect about those they meet online.  It's pretty hard to check someone's credibility when you don't know them in person.  Or don't know their real names.

I'm also leery of jumping on bandwagons (which is why I rarely get on while it's still moving.)I'm not much into the cult of personality.  Some of the weirdest battles ensue on Ravelry over someone saying something uncomplimentary about someone's knitting heroine.  Or hero.  Or a particular pattern that person has designed.

I'll admit.  I'm a closet member of the Rubbernecker's Group.  I think they are a bit too irreverent at times, but I knew who they were when I signed on.  And I'm a firm believer in letting them be who they want to be.  It's not about me and what I want.  I think a few Ravelers need to get a grip on that.  

Besides...the Rubberneckers were there for me when I was being stabbed in the back and kicked while I was down.  They can be as irreverent as they want.

Not to mention they are hilariously funny.

Enough blathering.  I need to fix supper so we can get to FDL for Zach's class.  Here's keeping my fingers crossed so the car will start.  It's going to be a nerve-wracking week wondering about that.

TTFN


2 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Aren't those old pattern books great? I especially like the sock book, too.

ZantiMissKnit said...

Those pattern books are awesome, and rather collectible too. I jump on those whenever I find them cheap.

I know the exact person you are talking about on Ravelry, and I find her fascinating!!! I used to know someone like that; she had figure skated, drag-raced, and done all kinds of other stuff I can't recall, and she was 19 years old. I think she was on her way to buying a house, according to her. We worked together and made about $7/hour at the time. Um-hm.

I can't believe the slack the Rubberneckers get. (Disclaimer: I'm a pretty active member of that forum.) Doesn't anyone else find people arguing on the internet FUNNY??? LSG (another forum I'm active in) gets similar slack -- one poster on another forum claimed that "they eat their own".

Internets. They're wacky.