Monday, June 27, 2011

OW!

My legs shake when I stand up (which I am avoiding whenever possible) due to all the bending over, shoveling, hoeing and other tasks necessary to putting a garden in the ground.  I had lots of help from Zach and Tom and as a result, the garden is in.  Most of it anyway.  I couldn't get all the tobacco planted because I ran out of room, but Tom started a second garden so I was able to put two plants in it.  The rest of that area is still huge clumps of sod that need to be chopped up and cultivated. 

As it turned out, Zach was good with the cultivator, getting it to work and finishing up the main garden area so I could get the tomato and pepper plants in.  I got the tobacco in this morning, racing ahead of the rain clouds.  Which passed us by without any rain.  We'll work on the secondary garden little by little so I might get some lettuce out of it, but little else due to lack of time.

Zach broke down the old mattress from my bed, tearing it down to the metal frame and Tom did the same with the box spring so I'm using those for trellises for my morning glories on the back of the garage, which can be seen from the highway above us (the property lets way below the main road in back of us.)  Those will get planted tomorrow, hopefully.  Then Wednesday I hope to plant my flowers on the hill behind the garage which is already sporting wild daisies and looks really nice in spite of the tall grass.  After that, I need to plant my caladium and work on my roses.  They need to be dead-headed in the worst way.  By that time the yard will need mowing again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Hannibal is doing so much better.  He's not frantic at all for food which means we can actually walk into the kitchen without being attacked by the cat.  And he feels a bit heavier.  Before, when you picked him up, it felt like you could continue up until you threw him into the air.  There is some resistance now.  I haven't weighed him yet, but in light of his lack of symptoms aside from weight loss and vomiting (which has pretty much stopped altogether now), I'm thinking he had worms rather than inflammatory bowel disease.  Still, I'll follow the protocol because she's the vet and I'm not.

I got some knitting done in between sessions in the garden.  I'm doing better physically but my stamina is still wussy so I take frequent breaks.  Still, it's nice to be functional even though tramadol and I are bffs.  With ibuprofen making our little group merrier.  I'm ready to start the outside edge of the pinwheel blanket, have knitted about 4 inches on the shell that will go under the shrug, got another few inches done on the bathroom curtain and started knitting a plain garter-stitch bordered/stockinette body baby blanket in the blue and white boucle.  I'm just striping.  I decided not to use the pattern on the band because it involved too much putting together and I'm just not up for that this summer.  The feather and fan baby blanket is slow going because Saturday I spent more time unknitting than I did knitting.  Yesterday went much faster though.

I have plenty of yarn for hats, mittens and scarves, which I'll most likely start when it's too hot to have these blankets resting on my lap.  It was hard to walk past the clearance bin at StuffMart today.  I could have made a pink and white baby blanket with boucle but I passed it up.  I have no room for the yarn I already own.

We did things differently today by getting our work done first and doing errands later.  That only works if where the errands take me is open late enough and today it was.  On bill day we have to leave earlier.  But I did like the way it turned out although I'm too stinking tired to fix supper right now.  Even though I have to force myself over that hurdle and get 'er done.

Okay, chicken legs are in the oven and the smell of rain is in the air.  I just hope we don't get the hail predicted as my poor crops won't do well with it. 

I also need to get some work done inside.  I cleaned and vacuumed the living room last night and if my legs will stop wobbling, I'll get the dining room done tonight before I go to bed.  It's really such a good feeling to be accomplishing so much.  Maybe not by most people's standards, but by mine this is triple my usual work load.  And knitting, too.  I feel nearly normal.

Well, time to read the news and then finish up supper and plop down on the couch to catch up on the dvr stuff.  I managed to watch Outcasts last night and I really like it so far.  Great British actors in the cast as well.  I'll probably catch up on Supernatural and maybe even watch the season finale of Doctor Who.  I keep putting it off because it's the last show for a while.  For some reason I hate season finales.

TTFN

No comments: