Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On the other side of the heat

We survived the heat spell.  In fact, although the temps were in the high 80s, Zach and I tackled the house today, rearranging the living room and my bedroom.   Which I no longer have now.  I turned it back into a living room and will just camp out on the futon every night.  The only problem will be on the weekends when Tom sleeps on the couch all day long and I have no place to sit aside from the dining room table.  I talked to him about it today so I hope he will take his naps upstairs on the weekend and not on the only furniture designed for sitting comfortably.  Hard chairs make my back hurt if I sit on them too long.

I have so much more room now and the house doesn't look like as bad as it did before.  It will be a pain making the bed up every night and putting it away every morning, but think of the exercise I'll be getting.  Burning all those calories will surely help me.  Problem is Professor can't sleep in front of the window fan anymore, but he'll get over that.  If it's miserably hot he can go into Zach's room and sleep.  We'll be putting the air conditioner in there this weekend.  His room gets no ventilation and he has problems sleeping anyway so giving him an air conditioner for those stuffy, muggy nights will help.  Especially when he gets a job.  Which I hope will be soon.  He put in more applications this week, but hasn't heard a word back on all the others he's already put in.  There is absolutely nothing in his field.

I've been working almost exclusively on the front door curtain that I had to frog back to the lace edging (and add more edging) so now it's wide enough.  But the endless knitting to get the length is what is taking forever.  Plus the past few days I couldn't go near my knitting during the day.  Way too hot.  Hopefully I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the other projects, but I do have to keep up with this cleaning binge until it's done.  Which won't be until August, I figure.  I proved to myself that I could push through the fatigue today, although the pain required frequent rests, but there's no reason I can't keep doing that.  And who knows...maybe I'll build up some tolerance for the pain and build up some muscles so it doesn't hurt so much.

Tomorrow the kitchen.  And the finishing touches on the dining room because the hutch and the computer desk are terribly cluttered.

It seems bizarre to be able to walk through the dining room without turning sideways.

The living room is still tiny and will only hold three people at the most in it, and only if they're sitting.  But all can see the tv from the couch and I have a coffee table under the window that I can use as a window seat, but it would make the room so crowded if we had more than four people in there.

It's thundering in the distance but all we're getting is a gentle rain.  My niece is getting a storm with strong winds but we seem to be missing it.  The marsh seems to draw most storms away from us, to the north.  Not all, but most.  Still, the rain sounds lovely and the air has really cooled off.  It helps that I can open up the blinds a bit at night, before I make up the bed, as it's a normal living room now and anyone in the street won't see me lying in bed.

I know I will miss having a bed and having a bedroom but I also missed having a normal house so I had to decide which meant more to me.  Plus, Tom has been very tolerant but I know he would rather have the house look like a normal house, too.

Well, supper demands my attention.  Not that I have any energy left for it, but we've got to eat.  Just sloppy joes, mashed potatoes (from a box) and corn.  Then I'm going to hop into the shower, make up my bed and go to sleep early tonight.  I hope.

ETA:  I spoke too soon.  It looks like we're getting a storm after all.

TTFN

No comments: