Monday, October 1, 2012

Sleep is my friend

The sleep I got last week wasn't restful at all.  I would finally crash around 4-5 a.m. and wake up around 2 p.m. but getting out of bed was hard because I was still so very tired.  I really need to get my sleep better regulated.  I woke up around 3 p.m. yesterday and went back to sleep around 11 p.m.  Professor woke me up around 7 for an outdoor potty trip and again at 9:30 and again at 11 but at least at 11 I felt like getting out of bed for the first time in a long time.  I don't feel rejuvenated but at least I feel like doing things today.  I didn't do much of anything all last week except a load of laundry now and then and a very simple meal each day.

The weather has warmed up a bit with temps in the high 60s and lower 70s so Tom has some of the windows open.  It feels nice to put a sweater on in the mornings even if I take it off in the afternoons.  I noticed the birds hanging around the feeders yesterday so I need to fill them up.  I think I'll put one out front.  I have one in the basement I don't use.  I have noticed some birds hanging around on the roof of the foyer area.  It would be nice to watch the birds from my bed while knitting in the afternoon.

Zach and I are planning a walk this afternoon in the marsh.  There is a trail there that is pretty long so we'll probably only make it through the woods part before we have to turn around this time but we hope to extend our trip each time.  Walking around our neighborhood is not only boring, but hard for me because of the hills.  The marsh is flat.  It's less than a mile away and while I hate to drive that far to walk, it's pointless to try to walk to it in order to walk the marsh trail because it would take us a year to build up my stamina enough to get there.

I finished up Eragon and started Elder over the weekend.  The writing is really not very good but probably better than I could do.  His writing improves over the series as he grows up.  I suppose we shouldn't expect polished writing at age 15 and that he wrote a book that early in his life is still very impressive.  I haven't read the fourth book yet which is why I'm re-reading the series.  It took him a long time to write it all and I've forgotten a lot of the nuances.  I watched the movie again over the weekend, too.

And I finished up Buffy, season 4 and started season 5.  I have a lot of stuff on dvr I need to watch before it loads up too much so I might give Buffy a rest for a while.  I have Wallender to watch but I'm not sure if I'll watch Upstairs, Downstairs.  It really didn't grab me the way the mysteries do.  I might try though.  I'm probably the only British television fan who hasn't jumped on the Downton Abbey series.  I tried to watch it but couldn't get into it.  Maybe some other time it will appeal to me.

In the meantime, I'm knitting hats and scarves for area kids this winter.  The Beaver Dam library has a knit in sometime in the fall and accepts hats, gloves, mittens and scarves for the kids around November.  I've got one hat done although I don't really like it much.  Someone might, though.  And I started the scarf and another hat as well.  Don't know how many mittens I'll get made.  Depends whether I can find a pattern I like.  I have the mitten pattern that is fingerless with a flap but it's an adult pattern and I'm not sure how to make it smaller.  I'm sure there are patterns out there that already are sized for kids.  The hats I'm making are more for junior/senior high age kids so I need some around that age, too.

I did work on socks this weekend as well.  I finished up the first sock and got a little ways on the second one.  Nothing fancy...plain vanilla socks.  Except they're a dark brown.  I'll probably work on the Greek Key afghan tonight as well because I miss it.  Sometimes I have to just work on afghans.  Especially when it's cool at night.

Well, off to get some rugs hung out on the line and maybe start another load.  I'm going to try to get back into my tightwad mode.  We really need to as the utilities will go up once I use the furnace (hopefully not before Thanksgiving but probably before then).  Besides, it's just a good idea to keep our finances under control.  When the economy escalates around 5% each year and you only get a 1% pay raise, eventually you're going to be unable to work it out.

Off for a productive day, I hope.

TTFN

No comments: