Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Getting excited about Christmas, at last

I didn't get a ton of things done today but I did get some important things done.  I went through the plastic drawers of yarn I had and eliminated some of it (it's getting no response on freecycle so far), put most of it in bin bags and moved it all down to the basement.  I won't be using any of this yarn any time soon so there was no point in it taking up space in my bedroom.  In place of the plastic drawers is the Christmas tree.  A much better spot for it since none of the clothes I put on racks in my bedroom dry within 3 days.  After Christmas I'll put my rocking chair in place of the tree and have a place for someone to sit to watch tv, at least.

Supper is done although not my best effort.  I'm not really good with fish.  I don't care for it and can't seem to cook it in a way that I like.  Zach said it was good though.  I just poached it in butter and rosemary.  I guess if everyone else likes it, I did okay.  I also used a new pasta with butter and a better version of parmesan and asiago cheeses.  That was pretty good.  A little parsley, too.

But now it's time to wrap the rest of the presents and hop into bed to knit until I finally fall asleep.  It took a while last night but eventually I made it.  I just can't seem to stay asleep.  Good thing I don't need to get up the next day.  I did better when I was getting at least 8 hours of sleep a night but now I'm back down to about 6.  Part of it is the dog, part is Tom getting ready for work.  It's hard to keep quiet when the kitchen is just steps away from the bed.  He tries but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I'm mostly working on socks exclusively but tonight I might do some darning.  This is the last year I use Woolease for socks.  The socks I knit last year are already thinning enough to need repair and the socks I knit 3 years ago out of Lion Brand wool haven't got a single thin spot on them.  It costs more but in the long run, it will be less expensive. 

Plus, I plan on getting back to sweaters in the next day or so.  Tom will be home a lot the next couple of weeks although he has to work 2 twelve hour days next week.  I laughed since he already works 12 hour days.  I'm guessing this means he'll be working 2 fourteen hour days.  But then he gets a 5 day weekend for New Year's.  He really does need it.  I plan on just knitting while he's home since I can't clean while he's here.  The house is way too small.

Off to start the dishwasher and then off to bed.

TTFN

No comments: