Thursday, December 15, 2011

A blustery day

Very strong winds today, making it difficult to drive the minivan.  It would have been bad enough in the Concorde but the minivan captures more of the wind, making driving on back country highways a bit of a workout.

I had intended to go out as soon as Tom left for work but just as he was leaving someone from my old fundie church pulled up and came to the door wanting to visit.  I'm awful about unexpected company which is a reason I don't like to drop in on anyone unannounced.  So we sat at the dining table because the couch is now a bed, and talked for 3 and a half hours.  I like her well enough although we have little in common anymore, but her timing was just not good.  As a result I didn't get out until it was dark (which happens around 4:30 here) with strong winds and very cool wind chill.

So I'm just now getting home and had to pick up supper because I'm super tired, having gotten only about 2 hours of sleep last night.  I will never eat chili again at night.  It sat on my stomach like a rock all night long, in addition to the pain, the heat (in spite of lowering the thermostat, the temp inside never got below 56F, which isn't good sleeping weather for me) and the pets who insisted on body contact all night, I didn't get any sleep.

I also found out my pain pills may be causing my insomnia.  Or at least exacerbating it.  So what do I do?  The pain keeps me awake anyway so I might as well be awake with as much relief from pain as possible.

So I didn't drift off until about 10:30 a.m., waking up at 12:30 a.m. to a face-washing by Professor, who uses that to tell me he has to go outside RIGHT NOW!  Tom was in the shower so I had to get up to let him out.  And no nap because I had company and then had to go to the store to get Tom some more pills for his back pain (Doan's, which seems to be working rather well) and milk.  I was good and didn't buy much more than I needed. 

Except I bought a lumberjack hat.  It was freaking cold out there and my new knitted Greek fret hat kept trying to blow off my head because it's not snug enough.  My lumberjack hat has a chin strap and a bill on it to keep out the rain and snow.  And I wanted one anyway so...

I frogged my mom's sock because I had messed up way back on it and being a perfectionist, couldn't just let it go.  Plus, I wasn't that crazy about the pattern once I saw it on the sock.  I'll find something else that takes better advantage of a plain color.  In the meantime I worked on the fingerless mitts for Zach.

I still don't have the tree up.  I will try to get it tomorrow although I need to pick up one more gift for our anniversary for Tom and that must be tomorrow as well, since I need to go to the bank to deposit a check I got as a result of a settlement from an online company that promised jobs or your money back and then locked people out of the website so they couldn't request their money back.  I had just shrugged the money off but I got $10 out of it.  I paid $40, but this is better than nothing.

Off to crawl into bed and maybe just go to sleep.  No knitting or anything.  Just sleep.

TTFN

No comments: