Friday, December 11, 2009

With no clear direction in mind, I ramble...

It was another night of interrupted sleep so I slept in until 10 a.m. I'm not sure why I kept waking up but I guess it was just one of those nights. I had some pain early on but a pain pill took care of that in good order and I didn't have any more pain the rest of the night (a rarity.)

It was a bit warmer this morning and Professor went gladly outside to take care of personal business but he didn't stay long because warmer is a relative term. The wind chill was only a minus 2 and not a minus 15 like it was yesterday. Numbers are in the teens but I didn't have the gumption to work outside today at all. We do need to do more shoveling but as there isn't a deadline on it, I'm waiting for the weekend when the numbers are in the plus 20s.

In the meantime, I'm working on things indoors. I did a bit of re-organizing in the kitchen because some of my creative stacking of things on top of appliances resulted in the sugar bowl upside down on the kitchen floor. It's a tiny galley kitchen with limited counter space and even less cabinet space. I haven't attacked the basement pantry yet. I'm waiting until next week when school is definitely over and I have each day that will be mine. Until we get the truck up and running Zach can't go job hunting unless I want to drive Tom to work and pick him up again and that takes up a huge part of my day so I'm not up for that. Not to mention this isn't the best time of year to get a job. I'll give him a bit of a vacation. He's gone to school nonstop for almost 3 years (summers included) so he deserves a break.

I think supper tonight will be homemade potato soup, cornbread and a veg of some kind. I'll make the guys some hamburgers because Zach can't eat potatoes without throwing up (OCD again) and Tom needs something a bit heartier than just potato soup. I'm happy with just the soup and cornbread since I sprinkle cheese over my soup so I'll be fine.

I've had the thermostat sitting on 60 the past two days and yesterday we needed it but today it feels a bit warm so I turned it down to 56. Tom slept upstairs last night. He said it was too warm down here (50F) so he took his hot water bottle upstairs and apparently slept very happily.

I'm still spending too much time online but most of it has been reading up on gardening and maintaining a small farm in the city. I'm not sure how much I want to commit to and I certainly want to take it slow so as not to overwhelm myself but I also want this to pay off. Even if I don't plant a big garden this spring, I want to cultivate a big enough area that I can prepare a bigger garden for the next year.

And still debating about bunnies or chickens. I might end up finding I can't have chickens so that would solve the debate but I also might decide that is a commitment I'm not ready for and just go with veggies and fruit. It's going to take a lot of work to clear out the garage next summer because so much of it has to go to the landfill and we have a motorcycle in there that isn't operational that we've never gotten rid of and now can't find the title (California...which should tell how long it's been sitting in the garage since we moved here from there over 12 years ago.)

I ended up doing 4 loads of laundry last night. I got my mojo going after supper (having taken a pain pill that relieved that problem) so the trips up and down the basement stairs weren't too much trouble. I hated using the dryer but as there is 16 inches of snow under my clothesline and it's still barely above 0 I'm going to have to bite the bullet this week and not let the laundry build up that I need to wash 4 loads at once. And I'll have to keep a better eye on the forecast in the future.

I got the Christmas decorations up last night. It's not much: a small tree on a tv tray, a snowman my Dad made out of a log, a wooden reindeer I bought at a church bizarre some 20 years ago and a Velveteen rabbit. And a couple of garlands, including one I crocheted over 20 years ago. I have a cloth nativity set but I'm not sure if I'll set it out because I don't have a lot of room. And a beautiful nativity set in a delicate glass globe I got as a gift several years ago. We don't spend a lot on decorations. I do want to find another ornament for the tree. I only have about 10 ornaments but I love each one of them.

Tomorrow we drive up to Fond du Lac for the last time. Well, not the last time as I have medical things going on up there and we have his graduation in the spring. But the last time for school days. I'll be so happy when it's over. Not only will the gas bill go down for the month but our expenses will go down significantly. We might just make it.

I need to get more knitting done in the course of the day or my aunt's socks won't be done this winter. I fell asleep last night when I sat down to knit so I didn't get much done at all. I haven't even finished one sock and I usually can put out a sock a day. I do need to organize my days better but I'm considering this my vacation prior to Zach's school being done and my real job starting.

Off to mop the kitchen floor, scrub the bathroom and start supper. It's 3:30 and the sun is low on the horizon. By 4 p.m. it will be dark enough to shut the curtains and turn on the lights. I love this about winter!

TTFN

No comments: