Monday, December 14, 2009

Lazy Monday

I finally finished the beaded scarf in time for Christmas. I have enough yarn left over to knit a very thin version of this so I might do that. I loved working with the yarn and if I still had the band for it I could tell you what it was. But I do know it was a silk/wool blend. I haven't blocked it or woven the ends in yet.

The lovely crystal dish in the center was my great-grandmother's butter dish. My mom sent it to me and I just received it today.
Men's socks that will go to a friend of my sister's. I did a mini double cable up the sides.

One pair of my aunt's socks done (on the left) and a pair of socks that will go to my sister.

This has been a lazy day for me...intentionally. I am taking a well deserved day off. Well, day off being subjective as I still have dishes to do and meals to cook. But no heavy duty cleaning or baking today. I got some reading done and plan on doing some knitting as well as soon as I finish up this entry. Tomorrow there is much work to do.

Zach and I went Christmas shopping last night so as to avoid the crowds. I just don't do well in crowds and will avoid them whenever I can. It was lovely to have the store nearly empty. As well as a near-empty parking lot. It started snowing on the way home but we only got a dusting. It did snow a bit this afternoon: about an inch or two. Not worth bundling up to shovel although it will most likely have to be taken care of by tomorrow. Still...the lazy day is nice.

As you can see above, I got the butter dish my mother sent. It's so beautiful; makes me want to churn some butter to put in there. But as this is an antique it will go into a niche in my hutch and be there as a reminder of generations gone by. This belonged to my father's grandmother. I never knew her, I don't think.

I'm planning on blocking the beaded scarf tomorrow. Now I need to focus on socks and my cardigan...exclusively. I must do some catching up, especially since, after the first of the year, I'll be teaching knitting to some people at church. I've never taught it to anyone but Zach so I'm not sure how well I'll do. It's a woman and her two daughters so I've got to plan projects they'll enjoy rather than the boring garter stitch scarf thing I learned on.

Off to knit while I can and maybe take a snooze before I have to fix supper. Baked chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and stuffing. Comfort food!

TTFN

1 comment:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Wow, the red beaded scarf is beautiful! And as a "sock person," I totally appreciate them as well.

You're lucky to have the lovely butter dish. But butter dishes sometimes meet a slippery end, so you are wise to keep it in the cupboard.