Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gray skies, clear roads

I would take pictures today but the world is black, white and gray and not particularly photogenic right now. At least to me...right this minute. If I wasn't so tired, I might see something that I wanted to share, but I'm dragging my hind end. I got to bed fairly early, for me, but also got up way too early. Even for a Sunday. I don't know why but I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I had been up at 1 a.m. to let Professor out but went right back to sleep afterward. And the sleep was really good. It just wasn't long enough.

We didn't get any freezing rain but we did get a trace of snow, which wasn't slippery at all so going to church was a breeze. The weather has warmed up enough that the roads are clearing up. Tom is going to try to find another right corner panel for the truck and fix it over the Christmas holidays. He's relieved that he doesn't have to get it done by Tuesday as he thought that was Zach's last day of school. It takes some pressure off of him. I told him to take some time off in January to recover from the stress of working with stressed out people and he's going to do that. Especially as there is an ice fishing camp at that time at his brother's cabin. Hopefully he'll bring home fish for the freezer.

I got a pork loin roast on sale last week and am cooking half of it in the crock pot right now. The other half is in the freezer waiting its turn. With just three of us we can usually do with half a roast. Well, we could eat the whole thing but we shouldn't. So I cut them in half. I'm thinking store bought noodles with this as I'm too tired to make them from scratch and I'm a bit tired of potatoes. I need to make sure I get some down time during the week. I can't really take a day off but I can make a day lighter than the others.

I was knitting socks at coffee hour after church today and the organist's granddaughter was watching me very intently (around 7 years old). Finally she just said it: "why would anyone knit socks?" I gave her some answers and she did like my black and yellow socks that I had on but I don't think I convinced her. But another woman at church is fascinated and wants her and her daughters to learn how to knit and has asked me if I would be willing to start a knitting circle. I'm agreeable and would love to teach them to knit.

I also got another commission for socks from a friend at church but I need to wait on more details and I need to finish the socks for my aunt first. If I have enough yarn left over I'm going to knit her some mitts because the socks are for her morning walks around the lake and she could use some mitts for that, too.

I saw another crested bird on the suet feeder this morning while I was getting ready for church. It looked a bit like a blue jay but I'm pretty sure they go south for the winter so I watched him for a while and when he flew away I saw a yellow spot on his tail so I think this one is a nuthatch. I'll keep a watch on the feeder. I wish it was out front so I could watch it all the time but there is too much activity in the front yard. So out back it is.

Well, off to knit and maybe doze a bit. Then knitting socks while watching Farscape. My PBS shows aren't on this weekend due to holiday specials so there's nothing on regular tv I care to watch. I do have tons of reading to catch up on so I might do that when my eyes can focus again.

TTFN

No comments: