Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wiped out and worn out

It wasn't my best day although it started out with promise. I tried to be quiet when I woke up early because Tom was sleeping on the couch made into a bed but it's just not possible. But he did manage to go back to bed and I hope got some more sleep after I left.

Poor Professor wouldn't wee outside because of the sub-zero temps last night. Fortunately he used his papers so it was easy to clean up. Yet when I let him out this morning he wouldn 't leave the porch but frantically started clawing at the door. It was 4:30 p.m. before he would venture outside again, having managed to "hold it" all day. He was one unhappy dog when he went out though.

I got an early start because Tom needs the car right now and the truck needs some repair before we can drive it at night. And with night coming at 4 p.m. that doesn't leave much time after Tom goes to work. The snow plow had been by and left an 18 inch barrier to the driveway. When I went to shovel it while warming the car up, I discovered it was solid ice and couldn't budge it with the shovel. I managed to break though it and had planned to just park on the street when I got back but the neighbor, who is getting a Christmas present this year, had cleared it by the time I got home.

I got the groceries and my four prescriptions and took a huge dent in the checking account but I was a good girl and didn't stop for breakfast even though my stomach was growling. Made it home without incident and then I don't know what happened but I just crashed and burned. I started aching and got so sleepy that I went back to bed and slept 2 hours. I just took a pain pill that I hope will take care of the problem. It's a flare-up (fibromyalgia). I know them like I know the back of my hand. I'm amazed I've been as active as I have lately. I just hope this doesn't slow me down too much as I still have so much to do.

I had to buy a new shower head because the repair we had made to the present one didn't hold. If it was just me, I would just hold the darned thing while I showered but not everyone is comfortable with that.

I'm going to put Professor on a diet and he's not going to like it. He's always been a nibbler. Won't eat dog food but will nibble on snacks. He doesn't gorge himself and really doesn't eat much a day but he's eating the rich, high fat stuff as food and not as a snack. He's gained so much weight that he's almost waddling so I'm going to be strict and force him to eat food. He's gone days before without eating but I've got to force the issue. I can't walk him now because the sidewalks aren't safe due to ice and snow so we've got to do this.

I decided to just dry the clothes in the dryer because it would take days for them to dry outside even if I had the gumption to brave sub-zero temps and the wind chill that drives it into the double digits. I don't have room to dry more than one load at a time inside and it would take a couple of days to dry them inside as well. So I'm going to help warm up the house (the dryer vents inside) and just do it.

I've kicked the thermostat up to 60 F today because I just can't get warm. We'll just have to suck it up and maybe dip into savings to pay for it but with this pain, I can't handle cold, too. I guess it's partly because I'm not active today. But at any rate, I'm not going to suffer.

My mother called last night to see if I got the package she sent. I hadn't. I didn't know she'd sent it but she's giving me my great-grandmother's cut glass round butter dish. It's breathtakingly beautiful and I can't wait to get it but now I'm a bit anxious since it's not here yet. I'm sure with all the extra postal traffic, it's just waiting it's turn on the truck.

Which reminds me that I need to get my sister's socks in the mail so she gets them before Christmas. I was going to mail it out this week but I'm not walking six blocks in -4 temps with a wind chill of -12. Sorry. Not gonna do it.

I might dig out the Christmas stuff tonight and start setting it up. I'm getting in the mood finally. Although I can't get excited about spending money on gifts this year. We're giving one per person though. And we're talking under $20 per gifts here. We don't spend much on Christmas because we can't.

Well, I'm off to throw the clothes in the dryer and start a new load.

Oh, and according to the Beaver Dam paper, we got 16 inches of snow. I can believe it!

TTFN

No comments: