Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rambling Thursday

It started snowing about the time Tom left for work so I raced outside to bring the clothes in off the line. It was a bit fun to see the snow accumulating on the freshly dry clothes, but I got them in before they got wet.

And then, of course, it stopped snowing.

According to the weather report it should start up again in less than an hour and we might get around an inch or two. I do love snow. I just hate shoveling it.

I'm not getting much done today, but the day isn't over and I might have a surge of energy soon. I washed up Tom's supper dishes (I had washed up everything else and put his supper in containers so all he had to do was pop them in the fridge when he finished) and the meager breakfast dishes. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, sometimes a piece of toast or bowl of cereal is fine for me. Rarely do I ever eat a big breakfast. Tom has oatmeal every single day, Zach a bowl of cereal, so there is rarely any major clean up in the morning unless I didn't do supper dishes the night before.

I put a chicken in the crockpot with various herbs and spices and the smell is starting to waft into the living room. Mmmmmmm....nice!

I was hoping to start the downstairs pantry today but the lack of sleep is getting to me and I'm dragging. I had managed to get to sleep early last night (by early, I mean before 2 a.m.) but Professor woke me up to go out about 3 because I forgot to put puppy pads down for him. He had an accident on the kitchen floor and woke me up to tell me so I put him out and cleaned up, only to find another accident in the bathroom. We're going to have to put the baby gate back in the bathroom doorway. I had a hard time getting back to sleep and it was 5 before I managed. Up at 9:30 for keeps this time. Hopefully I can do without a nap today so I'll be ready for bed early tonight.

Tom was worrying about the money angle again today. And yet he keeps the door open when letting the dog out or has his windows open upstairs when I've got the furnace on downstairs. He looks at the bigger picture and doesn't see that the little things add up much more quickly and cost us much more in the long run. It doesn't help that his frequent trips up north to his brother's cabin cost us more than he realizes. I hesitate to tell him how much he's spent this summer and autumn because he's stressed enough as it is and well...it's past...it's history, and we can't undo it so hassling him about money he already spent is pointless.

The main thing, I believe, is that we start from here and he doesn't spend that way again. I discovered that I do indeed have a backbone so I'm not afraid to say no to him in the future. In fact, I already did when he wanted to buy a new gun. Blessedly he decided on his own that he can't afford a hunting trip down to Louisville, KY with his older brother to go hunting with their younger brother. That would entail not only the expense of getting there, but also a new (and expensive) hunting license and he always feels obligated to pay for food whenever he visits his brothers.

Considering what he's spent so far this year on hunting, if he did manage to get a deer it would be the most expensive venison out there. We could have had a whole cow for the cost of these hunting trips.

I started some mitts for Zach, but I went with a simple 3X1 rib pattern instead of something fancy. I managed to get a few more inches knitted on the cardigan and finished reading Made from Scratch. I can't do all Jenna does, nor do I really feel inclined. I'm content building up to what I do want to have though. And I really would like to know if we can keep chickens in the city limits here.

Since this isn't going to be a real physical day, I'm intending to get a lot of knitting done to make up for the knitting that hasn't been happening over the past month. Saturday, Tom and I are going to Hartford to pick up his coat from his niece's house and I'll go to Banner Crafts to get some Woolease for my aunt's socks.

Tom had a meeting yesterday about our new insurance and it really sucks. Our deductible went up to $1000 per person per year which means that practically nothing will be covered for me in terms of tests I need run. And since hospitals don't let you make payments longer than 3 months, there is no way I can afford to have any of these tests done. I know I need a bone scan, and my dr wants me to have an abdominal ultrasound because she couldn't check me well because of belly fat and I need my baseline colonoscopy. Also now I have a deductible on my prescriptions unless I use their pharmacy (by mail) which won't work because it's more expensive than what I get at StuffMart in generics but they want me to change my cholesterol meds and my cancer meds to something generic. So...I have insurance, but can't afford to use it.

Yeah...we don't need health care reform in this country. I'm a huge proponent of national health care because I can tell you it would be a whole lot less than what we're paying now. Plus, it's an abomination that everyone in this country can't get adequate health care. In a few short years, Tom's company won't be able to supply insurance because of the cost. In fact, it's conceivable that might happen next year. It was a close one this year.

Enough ranting and raving. Off to some zen knitting and Deep Space Nine.

TTFN

No comments: