Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Weekend blur

The weekend went by in a blur with me wondering why nothing seemed to get done in spite of feeling busy the whole time. Saturday night, as usual, was mostly sleepless. I had to go to church because I had altar guild and didn't want to claim lack of sleep once again. Besides, I really need church.

I tried to take a nap while Zach was at work but Professor was going nuts because the man across the street was out in his driveway with his little girl. Doing absolutely nothing. How he could hear them over the high winds stirring up the leaves the city leaf-guy didn't pick up when he picked up everyone else's leaves, I can't imagine, but he did.

So I gave up and decided to just try to catch up on email instead. Apparently I lost track of time because Zach had to call me to pick him up.

Is there anything I can do right anymore?

No, he wasn't upset with me but I was upset with myself.

I ended up struggling to stay awake to fix supper for Tom and when I put it in the oven told him to take it out when it was done and went to bed at 6:30 p.m. I really thought I would get an hour or so of sleep and then be up until 1 or 2 a.m. but I managed to sleep straight through to 6:38 a.m.

I got my cholesterol medicine yesterday and the co-pay is $50. So all that money I "saved" by switching my prescriptions to StuffMart is gone because of this. I'm going to call the doctor before my next prescription is due and ask her to prescribe something less expensive. My old cholesterol med was proven ineffective so there is no point in going back on that one.

I feel so skeptical about the pharmaceutical industry these days.

And insurance companies.

I need to schedule my mammogram pretty soon. It was due this month so I'm not really late on it. I have to make sure I've got a year and a day in between them but it's not like they really pay for them anyway. They take it out of my deductible, which means I pay for it. And it's not like hospitals really take payments anymore.

I had to buy a new glucometer yesterday as well. While the insurance still won't pay for the test strips, these are half the cost of the other ones but the initial outlay was a bite out of this paycheck.

I just can't catch a break.

On a positive note, I am loving Heroes. One of the benefits of not catching this stuff in real time is I don't have to wait a week in between episodes. This is really great and will definitely go on my favorites list.

I know I've been doing a lot of knitting but I've also been doing a lot of frogging as well. I didn't like the way the Irish Hiking Scarf was looking. It was too stiff in spite of using larger needles so I think I want to go with a lace pattern. When I get the time I'll look through my bin of magazines and patterns and see what I've got. Then there is always the internet world of free patterns.

Zach has a Halloween party at school today in Beaver Dam and then school tonight at Fond du Lac so I won't have a lot of time to get things done here. I got two windows winterized but have two more to go down here and three upstairs. Tom will be out of town this weekend so I can get up there to get some things done in addition to finding more winter clothes in the attic. I need to invade the foyer closet and find all the hats and gloves. I have my fingerless mitts but I haven't dug a hat out yet and it's been a bit nippy the past two days. It will warm up later in the week but for now I need a bit of warmth.

And still no furnace on. I might make it to November 1st. I know I won't make it to Thanksgiving though. A day or two of cold weather is tolerable. Weeks of it, not so much. Plus we do need to stay healthy.

We went to a birthday party yesterday with a family we used to be close to. Zach is like a big brother to the boys so the birthday boy was really wanting him to be there. It was good to see them again. The daughter just got engaged to a Norwegian boy. Well, he's 22, but to me that's still boy. They'll be getting married in Norway and for a wedding present I want to knit her a sweater. I gave her knitted socks for her birthday and she loved them so I want to get her something pretty and feminine but warm. I have until July so I have the time. Unless I procrastinate or something.

Not that I would ever do that.

Well, I need to get ready to go. Haven't had breakfast yet although my blood sugar was under 100 today. Yes!!

I still need to work on losing weight but eating more protein has helped my blood sugar come down. I really tried vegetarian but I just can't get as much protein in and the carbs were raising my levels way too much.

Maybe something like the South Beach diet. Which I'm not prepared for right now but I can do a modified version of it that's not quite so expensive.

Off to get ready for Zach's party.

TTFN

No comments: