Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Another mouse

Apparently Tom just threw the baby mouse out into the yard because Professor found it and brought it to me.  This was a few hours later and it was still wriggling around a bit.  I agonized over what to do and ended up bringing it into the house and warming it up.  I figured this little guy lasted over 3 hours in the grass after a fall of who knows how high and was still kicking.  I wasn't going to let him just slowly die a painful death of starvation and hypothermia.  If he was going to die, he was going to die warm.

Initially I gave him some milk from an eye dropper and he took in one gulp and wouldn't try any more.  Then I opened up a can of sweetened condensed milk that had expired and gave him a bit of that undiluted.  He took a bit more of that and so we stuck with that until after Zach's class.  I bought some powdered baby formula and he's been drinking that with gusto.  Still having difficulty getting it into his mouth instead of his nose though because he keeps moving his head all over the place.

We keep him warm with a hot water bottle and kept him in a box in my armoir so the cat didn't get him last night.  Today I bought him a little carrier (so much for frugality, eh?)

Oh...and guess who got up every few hours last night to feed him?

By this morning his color was much better and he's so much stronger.

When we came home last night with this baby mouse in a bucket, Tom told me to take him back to the wood pile and let him die there.  I said I wasn't going to let him die and Tom responded with, "Well, why not???"  I told him I just wasn't going to let it die and he didn't speak to me the rest of the night.

Sheesh.

So...here's the big guy.  I don't know how old he is but his eyes and ears are still closed over and he has no fur.  But he started squeaking last night and it was so cute.




I think he might make it.

On the knitting front, I bought some Red Heart Plush that was on sale at Stuff Mart to knit another prayer shawl.  It's very soft but I don't know how well it would hold up.  Still, it's bright red and that should cheer up anyone's heart.

I'm turning the heel on the bumble bee socks but I still haven't finished the collar on Zach's sweater.  I don't like to take that with me because knitting black under a street light isn't very good.  I know the socks are black but I could do those in my sleep.

Another bonus is we don't have to go in until 6 tonight for Zach's class so I'm going to take a well-deserved nap.

Tomorrow is Zach's birthday but I can't tell you what I bought him because he's been known to read this blog so he'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

How cute!! Kinda fugly cute.
Vicki
Good luck with the midnight feedings!