Friday, October 10, 2008

I have a few minutes here...

I'm taking a short break from being frugal since I wasn't before.  Yes, I'm still a bit bitter about that comment.  I now fix supper in the morning three days a week so I've got supper to take with us.  I do dishes when I come home at night instead of using the dishwasher.  I'm hanging clothes...outside if the weather is nice...inside on racks if it isn't (I was already doing this.)  And of course, sitting in the car waiting for Zach instead of driving home and coming back to get him (again...already doing this.)

Last night when I got in at 11 p.m. (after leaving the house at 11 a.m) there was a package waiting on the table for me.  I'll let you know more about it tomorrow because it won't do to describe it.  It needs pictures!

Also waiting for me was a dirty kitchen but I was too tired to do anything beyond putting things in the dishwasher to hide until today.

So today I swung by the thrift store to ask if they could pick up this monstrous desk and they said, why yes they could...for five dollars.  I considered just loading it up on the truck but I knew that it would stay there for weeks at a time so I was decidedly unfrugal and said that was fine. They'll be here tomorrow so I've been emptying out the drawers (and throwing a ton of stuff away...sneaking it out to the bin before anyone *coughTomcough* sees what I've thrown out.)

We've been invaded by Japanese beetles and stinkbugs.  What joy.  Earlier I felt something on my neck and absent-mindedly picked it off and boy howdy! what a smell.  Japanese beetles are like the skunks of the insect world.  When I came home from shopping today, the south side of the house was speckled with the stink bugs.  I gave them a wide berth and waded through a swarm of the Japanese beetles to get in the house.  And I brought them with me.  All of them. They prefer the view from the front door so I've been sweeping them back outside every now and then.  Both pets cringe from them so I'm guessing they've had a taste already.

I plan on spinning tonight while watching Ghost Whisperer and Sanctuary, then switching to knitting while I watch the rest of my Buffy dvd.  I've got Wire in the Blood, season 3 to watch tomorrow and Saturday, although I have it for two weeks.  And I found a great book by Patrick Taylor called An Irish Country Doctor.  It feels a lot like Ballykissangel and is a great read. There is another book by him at the library that I think is a sequel.

And I broke down and got Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on cd again so I can finish it.  And then Order of the Phoenix.  I have missed knitting while waiting for Zach.  Video games get old after a while.  I'd like to finish the prayer shawl...aka Invisibility Shawl in worsted weight...next week.  The nights are getting cooler and it would be nice to give it to the lady to curl up in.

And I must finish Zach's sweater.  I don't know why I'm resisting the neck on this.  It's not the least bit hard.  And after that are the sleeves, which I love doing.  Why aren't I motivated?  I think I'm done with socks for a while.  I'd love to knit my dad a pair before Christmas though. I'll have to wait and see how my frugality is working out.  I brought my grocery bill down by about $50 this week, but we'll see if that is a trend or a fluke.

I noticed at Stuff Mart today they have revamped their yarn section and are getting rid of some Red Heart stuff, stocking up on sport-weight baby yarns and Vanna's Choice.  I petted it for a while and then reluctantly went about my business.  I liked the colors, too.  And they seem to have Caron Simply Soft stocked up again.  For a while it didn't look like they were going to keep it.

So I might not finish the sweater coat because they don't seem to have that color anymore.  I never buy enough of Red Heart at a time because I can always get it and don't have to worry about the dye lot.  Maybe this is a sign that I don't really want to make it.

Well, my time is up and I have to get back to work and finish up the kitchen and then when Tom gets up go upstairs and empty out the rolltop so I can bring it down after he leaves.  I'm going to put the monster desk outside tonight because it's not supposed to rain and because I don't know when the thrift store guys will be here tomorrow.  I don't want to manuever that out the door at 9 a.m.  I'm getting Zach to help me though.  I don't plan on doing this all by myself.

I hope to have those pictures tomorrow.  I'm so excited about what was in that package and can't wait to share it.

TTFN


No comments: