Friday, October 3, 2008

Time to dig out the blankets

I didn't get any pictures taken today because after paying bills, reconciling the checkbook, running errands, cooking supper and giving the house a lick-and-a-promise, it was time for Sanctuary and I didn't have the vcr set to record, so I sat down to watch it.  I did manage to catch me some Monty Python on BBCA (eeee...finally have it again!!!) before it started.  (And joy of joys...Life on Mars is the marathon on BBCA Sunday.  I'm happy.  I had really missed that station.  I know there is a US version of LOM but I rarely like remakes of British shows.  The US version of Touching Evil was so bland.  I don't know why we can't just have the British versions in prime time.)

I worked mightily on a black and yellow sock in worsted weight.  It used to be the hat I was knitting the other day, but I decided I didn't like it as much I did the last one and I do have this problem with commitment, so I frogged it.  It's looking great as a bumble bee sock.

I will get some pictures soon.  I promise.

I've been looking around for a balaclava to knit.  I found two that I like.  One on Knitty and one at a vintage pattern site.  Now to decide which one.

I've done no knitting on the sweater.  I don't know why except socks make me happy and I needed that today.  No particular reason.  In fact, I'm feeling more positive today.  Most likely all that sleep I've been getting.  I managed to growl at Tom this morning when he was playing with Professor on my bed and getting him to bark.  He backed down swiftly and was ever so quiet the rest of the morning.  Or at least until I got up at 9:45. 

I do plan on getting back to spinning soon, as well.  I really don't know why I'm not spinning more, but I think knitting relaxes me better and I need that right now.  I can take the kick spindle with me next week and spin in the car while listening to the rest of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  I'm so behind on it.  It will make a mess because the Welsh top sheds, but better the car than my bedroom.

I almost have Tom talked into getting rid of this monstrous desk.  It takes up about a third of the living room and he would like to set up a dining table, turning this room into more of a family room.  I told him it wouldn't be possible as long as the desk was here.  We have a computer roll top upstairs that we got back when we got our first computer but the monitor we have now is much bigger and the tower doesn't lie flat the way the old 8086 did but I think it would still work out.  And it's not only much smaller, but nicer to look at.

I'm almost to the stage of perfoming a magic act on the desk while he's gone hunting, except this thing is (and I kid you not) monstrous.  It's the size of an office desk...like the president or manager of a company would have.  He hates to get rid of anything (which is why our house is ready to split apart at the seams) so I know this is killing him.  I told him he could keep it in the garage but he was trying to figure out how to get it upstairs or in Zach's room.  Ha!  This thing would take up half of Zach's room and no way is it going to make it up the stairs.

I was so stiff when I woke up this morning.  I had kitty and puppy in bed with me because they love my blanket and it being a bit frosty, they wanted to be where the warm was.  Professor was under the covers and wouldn't budge when I tried to turn over.  Hannibal was all stretched out and being the big boy he is, wouldn't move either.  I managed to pick him up and move him over a bit.  It's still a bit too warm for the flannel sheets but I should dig them out and let them air out on the line.

Speaking of clotheslines...I got the laundry in finally.  The forecast calls for lots of rain next week so I'll use my racks.  I got lazy twice this summer and used the dryer but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

I'm going to button up the house next weekend.  This weekend we have a party to go to tomorrow, I have meals to prepare and stuff to bake for the week ahead.  And maybe I'll get some yard mowed (using the reel mower instead of the gas-powered one...think of the calories burned!)  I still have some plastic for the windows left over although I will need more.

I also need to go through closets and put the summer stuff up and start airing out the winter things.  I don't wash them since they were clean when I put them away, but they do get musty so an afternoon in the Wisconsin wind (which is so lovely) will put them right.

And I need to make another run to the thrift store.  Mostly I'm getting rid of my stuff.  I would never get rid of Tom's stuff without his permission no matter how I feel about it because I had someone in my life a long time ago who decided that my memory box and all my writings, stories and essays were junk and threw them away.  That included a diary I had kept since I was nine, my high school diploma and my mortar board and tassle from graduation.

I did find some old homeschooling stuff and freecycled it.  Someone emailed me about it and since it's not taking up tons of room, I'm willing to hang onto it until they can come get it.  And soon...very soon...I'll be freecycling Tom's motorcycle.  I just have to clear a path first.  And I have to get to the rest of my Red Heart stash and decide what is going to a new home.

I have so much to do and so little energy to do it.

Well, off to finish Bones: season 2.  I have The Rector's Wife to watch this weekend as well, since it's due back on Monday.

I've rambled enough.

TTFN




1 comment:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

What a coincidence...socks make me happy, too!