Monday, July 2, 2012

Holy mackeral!

It was only supposed to be 91F today so I hadn't planned on using the a/c but by noon the heat index was 96 so I broke down and turned it on.  I'm only using the low setting so the temps in the dining room are still at 83 but it's the best I can do.  If we find it nearly impossible to afford a/c what are the people who are in worse shape than us doing?

I've been lethargic all day, taking a nap next to the a/c this afternoon.  Some knitting on dishcloths but nothing more than that.  We're heading out to the library and store in a few minutes.  If it's going to be worse tomorrow I don't want to get out at all and I have something due back at the library tomorrow.  Better return it today than not make it out tomorrow.

Whatever is for supper will involve little cooking.  I don't want to heat up the house in any way.  Maybe something microwaveable.  By 1 a.m. when Tom gets home it won't be so bad but right now it's just too hot to cook.

I'm going to pick up some baby yarn so I can work on a baby sweater.  I'm just in the mood for making baby clothes.  My daughter is pregnant and I need to come up with something for the baby but I'd like to knit something for the other two as well.  They lived in Southern California all their lives and never needed anything knitted beyond a light baby blanket so I'd like to knit something them once they move to Connecticut.  I'd rather use wool for the older kids rather than acrylic though.  And the thought of touching wool right now doesn't sit well with me.  I've got some singles I need to dye and some shetland wool that needs to be scoured and carded as well as spun but that's just not going to happen this week.  I hope we'll be done with this unseasonable heat after this week but I'm afraid we won't be and we'll have to dig into savings to pay for the a/c.  I hate this.

Well, off to get ready to leave.  I dread walking out the door.  For some reason the dog wants outside to lie in the shade but it's really cooler in here.  I think the a/c scares him for some reason although he took a nap with me and lay next to the a/c as well. 

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

For Baby blankets there are some great acrylic mixes! Even cotton/acrylic blends. Easy to wash, I find when I knit for someone who isn't a knitter they don't want all wool (:{), not as easy care.
Berroco Love It Colors Yarn is a good one.

This is a Medium Weight, Cotton Blend Yarn.
Each skein is 120 yards, 50 grams; 58% cotton, 38% acrylic, 3% polyester; 4.5 stitches to 1 inch using US 8 knitting needles.
good luck, same here, super hot, I always get in the mood to knit a winter sweater during the hottest part of the summer, go figure! LOL
Take care
Vicki