Monday, May 9, 2011

I wasn't disappointed rain canceled the lawn mowing

Tom got the lawnmower all ready for us to start mowing today but the weather had other ideas.  A thunderstorm moved in pretty quickly so I made haste to put the lawnmower back in the garage and shut the door before it hit us.  It rained most of the day and there's not enough daylight left to dry out the grass so we will make another attempt tomorrow morning after the dew dries off.  In spots the grass is mid-calf.  We must mow it.  I have so much yard work to do, too.  Darn this stupid fatigue.

I bought a pair of capri leggings to wear to bed because I keep getting tangled up in my pajamas.  The legs are so wide that when I try to turn over, I'm lying on the opposite leg of my pjs and can't turn over.  So I wake up and detangle, then try to get back to sleep.  Most times unsuccessfully.  Maybe these will work better.  They're a relaxed fit so they shouldn't be too baggy.  What is with the wide legs on jammies these days?  I don't remember having any problems in the past.

I did a lot of knitting last night on a couple of projects, after I cleaned up my room.  I go through stages when I feel guilty for taking up the living room and cramming everything in the dining room.  I feel like I should give up my bed and just sleep on the futon at night, opening up our house again so we can walk thought it without turning sideways.  But then I think about what it was like not to have a room of my own and feel like a permanent guest in the house instead of actually living here.  Sleeping upstairs isn't an option.  I can't handle the steep attic stairs, nor Tom's smoking.  We keep the door closed to the upstairs and it's not too bad down here, but up there it's strong and I can't breathe when I have to go up there, even with the windows open.

And don't tell me to make him smoke outdoors.  It's his house, too, and he does limit it to the upstairs.  Even if he didn't smoke, I couldn't handle the stairs with my bum knees and hips and achy fibromyalgia.  It's just another reason.  Not the reason.

Zach and I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice last night.  It was great and had a lot of wonderful lines in it. I'll admit to being a fan of Nicolas Cage and that made the movie even better.  I especially loved the scene from Fantasia in there.  But I'm not going to say what it is in case someone out there besides us hadn't seen the movie yet.

I also watched the second installment of The Barbarians by Terry Jones with Tom.  This one was about the Goths.  I love the way he tackles old mythologies that used to pass for history and the humor he uses to tell the story of the past.  Tom wasn't aware he was one of the Monty Python stars.  I've kept the one about the Celts so Tom can see that one, too.  But I will admit it's my favorite so far.  I know these are rather old documentaries but I hadn't seen them yet and as the information in them hasn't really found itself out of date, what does it matter?

I'm fixing chili tonight because there is a nip in the air and still a hint of rain to come.  Plus it's that one-pot cooking thing I love so much.  Then it's tackling the living/dining room and seeing if I can make it more efficient.  I'm going to have to give up the coffee table, for sure.  If we need something there I've got a tray table I can use.  It doesn't go as low as I'd like but it would work in a pinch.

Then off to knit and crochet.  I started the Tree of Life afghan again.  I think this is the third time.  This time I'm doing it in off-white.  I think having a darker colored yarn over-emphasized some of the increases and such.  It's blending in much better now.  Unfortunately it's Red Heart yarn, being all I could afford.  But it doesn't feel as scratchy as some of the other colors and it's knitting up well.  So far.

Then I'm nearly done with the cat portion of the Medieval pouch in blue and yellow.  The colors are really good together (Vanna's Choice yarn) and my color work is the best it's ever been.  I tweak it every time I knit with different colors and I think I finally found out how loose I need to carry the yarn across as it's nearly perfect now.  I might even try to catch some of the yarn on the back next time I do it.

I haven't been working on the sweater coat much but I'll get back to it as well.  In the meantime I'm making small progress on the gamer squares.  I've finished up two and started the Tetris one last night.  It's a little more fiddly as there are multiple color changes, which is much easier to do in crocheting, but more time consuming.  If that makes any sense at all.

I really need to sit down and learn the camera so I can take pictures of my projects.  Especially as I intend to dye the single I finished spinning.  I'll get Zach to take pictures of the different steps.  Then on to scouring my Shetland fleece.  I'm excited about that but I want to finish plying my Welsh Top first, which I'll do after I finish dyeing the singles.

I still have many other crafts I'd like to incorporate into my routine as well, including the beading and drawing/painting and writing.  I just need to organize my day, my life and my house before that's going to happen though.  Motivation is a stranger to me.

Off to fix supper and clean the living/dining room and then maybe a shower and crawl into bed for the night.  I have a lot on the agenda for tomorrow.

TTFN


No comments: