Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I guess you need the dreary days to appreciate the sunny ones

It's a bit cold and rainy today so I turned the furnace on again.  I'm just not keen on shivering in 55F temps anymore.  I've only got the thermostat sitting on 60F and that feels quite comfortable, but I'm not going to sit in a cold house this spring.  Besides, the cold and rain is making me even more achy.  I was up most of the night because of the pain and I had taken all the pain meds I could.  Some of it might have been all that running up and down the stairs doing laundry, which I need to finish today.  I must muddle through the pain to get to the other side or else I'm never going to get back in shape.  But that doesn't mean I need to abuse myself doing it.  Baby steps, after all, are what we all start out with.

Stranding the yarn rather than catching it works much better on the bag I've been working on.  The cat is smooth now and not dimpled and I'm not carrying the yarn too tight or too loose, so I must be doing something right.  I'll be lining the bag so the strands won't get caught on anything and it's a small bag anyway.  I'm doing it in yellow, light green and white.  Just because I had those colors lying around.  I can make another bag later in blue and yellow.  Not sure what I'll do with the bags but they are a nice size to carry when I'm riding my bike (and I do intend to ride my bike this summer) or walking.  I plan on making them over the shoulder bags in spite of how small they are because nothing stays on my shoulder (I must have sloping shoulders because my bra strap won't stay up either) and I hate carrying bags on my arms.  My mp3 player fits in my jeans pocket but I do have shorts that don't have pockets so this would be good for that.  Plus if I walk at night, which I love, I could slip my little flashlight in there as well.

I do need to get started on walking, especially for Professor's sake.  He loves walkies and it might tire him out enough to let me sleep at night.  But as it's rainy and cold today we're not starting that right now.  Maybe tomorrow.

I'm determined to limit myself to one trip a week to town as gas is now over $4 a gallon and I have the truck, which gets lousy gas mileage.  But it's better that Tom drives the car since his work is over 25 miles away.  Shopping is just about 15 miles away, but more with all the errands around town.  Our own bitty city doesn't have any shopping and the library isn't open but for a few hours a day and I'd have to get the books sent over from other libraries anyway.  So, since I have to go into town anyway, I just use that library.

I'm cooking biscuits and gravy with sausage and eggs for supper tonight.  Tom loves it and with him working late, I'm trying to figure out meals that are a bit special without costing a lot.  This is a fairly cheap meal, all things considered.  It would be better if I made the biscuits from scratch but I'm not that far along yet.  I do need to bake bread tomorrow.  I'll use the bread machine which only makes one loaf at a time but next time I hope to do it all by hand.  I also need to dig out my tightwad books and get motivated to get back to being extremely frugal.  Tom really wants a fishing kayak by the end of summer so I'm hoping we can swing it.

I'm still taking my allergy meds.  The nasal spray seems to be helping a lot with the sinus drainage so I'm not coughing a lot during the day.  The dr told me to keep taking the spray all the time during the height of the allergy season for me, which unfortunately is all year since I'm allergic to mold and mildew in the winter and pollen in the summer.  Maybe August I can take a break from it.  But she says it's mild enough that it won't hurt to take it all the time anyway.  I don't need the generic Claritin daily...just when I get symptoms.  So I took one today for the first time in a week.  I still must get all the mold and mildew cleaned up though.  That would help so much.

Well, supper is almost ready so I need to finish it up, then get the laundry finished up and crawl into bed.  It was after 10 p.m. last night when I finally got into my pajamas and settled down.  I only knit for an hour before I turned the lights off, but I woke up before Tom got home and took another pain pill and since I wasn't comfortable taking three in one night, tried to let that hold me over until morning.  It didn't but I eventually fell asleep out of exhaustion.  Woke up stiff and achy but I only took an ibuprofen.  I have no idea why I hoard these pills.  I have enough to take 3 a day or more if I need it.  I might have to just bite the bullet and start doing that.

Well,  I hope tomorrow is better than today but today was still not as bad as I've been doing so I must be making progress.  Minute progress, but progress nonetheless.

TTFN

No comments: