Friday, May 20, 2011

Finally a tidy yard

I ache and I stink.  But the yard is mowed and trimmed although I cut down the barberry bush accidentally.  It should grow back but it was going to be visible from the street this year and now it won't.  Drat!  Zach mowed the property line, leaving a strip of tall grass.  I debated what to do but I ultimately left it up to Zach.  He said he just forgot and mowed how he normally mows.  I'm not going to go out and clean it up.  Maybe this will demonstrate to the neighbor just where the property line really is.

Later on, after the next few days of rain, I'm going to plant the flower beds and try to turn the garden.  We might end up just breaking up the sod ourselves for the new part of the garden.  It will hold mostly tobacco and it's pretty sturdy once it gets to a transplanting size so it would be fine without finely chopping up the clay...I mean soil.

I worked exclusively on the baby blanket last night because Supernatural required my undivided (or nearly undivided) attention.  I made progress, about 3 inches, which is a lot with sport yarn, even using size 8 needles.  I'll probably work more on it tonight while finishing up my inventory of Supernatural.  I hadn't seen this season yet.  This will probably catch me up so I can watch it in real time next season.

I watched Charlie St. Cloud last night, thinking it would be something to watch while going to sleep but I was entranced by it and watched every minute of it.  It was wonderful.  The storyline was so good and the acting simply great.  I hadn't seen any of the High School Musical movies, only seeing Zac Efron in Hairspray, but I was very impressed with his acting in this movie.  I'll definitely put this on my dvr inventory until I can get the movie.  I do try to wait until the movies are on the sales rack, except for Harry Potter.  Those we get the bonus packages and they don't ever end up on the sales rack.  Didn't get Voyage of the Dawn Treader yet.  I'm waiting for that to be on the sales rack.  I liked it, but not enough to pay $20 for it.

Especially since we're in double tightwad mode.  Tom is going up north to host a poker party at his brother's cabin, which means money and our combined insurance is due for the quarter.  I'm never going to be able to save up for next year's property taxes at this rate.  We're definitely going to need to go back to the more stringent measures I've had to use most of the past 10 years.  Including cooking from scratch and limiting trips to town.  Not to mention trips to the store.  I may not be able to afford new glasses this year either.  That's not the end of the world as my vision is still great.  I think.

I was going to wash clothes tonight but I"m so sore I don't think I can handle the stairs so I'll do it tomorrow.  It's supposed to rain but I'll just do one load every other day and hopefully one of those times I can hang the clothes outside.  I need to get back to that as well.

My tomatoes are getting so tall.  They'll go in the ground first week of June so I need to get busy turning that part of the garden.  Plus I need more tomato cages.  I'll make do with some plastic poles I have and some other fence posts I can use because I just plan on getting a few each year.  My blueberry bushes are looking good, if not still terribly small.  Hopefully they'll grow up this year.  I hope to get the echinacea in the ground next week along with my other flowers.  And whatever else I can think to do for the yard.

I put in the screen in the front door.  I was going to do the back door and the kitchen and bathroom window but that can wait.  I've already overdone it today and I want to be able to do things tomorrow, too, instead of just putting my feet up and knitting all day.  Although that does sound like a dream day.  Still, Tom will be at work so I can get some laundry done and hopefully the bathroom scrubbed.

Time to fix supper.  Not sure just yet but it might be impossible pie, which is easy to fix and I have all the ingredients.  I'm going to make potato/leek soup for lunch tomorrow, but I can do that tomorrow.  And then a thrifty shower to get rid of all the sweat and grass all over me, then to bed for knitting and hopefully an early night.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

I'm jealous, my yard is still a mess!
Vicki