Monday, November 9, 2009

Mondays aren't so bad after all

Things are looking up here. At least I'm accomplishing more things. I've been walking Professor around the block and building up to add another block by next week. When I say a block, I mean one that goes steeply uphill no matter what direction I choose so I get a pretty decent workout in spite of it being a short one.

I'm hoping to continue with it this time. I have so many health issues that I need to do something because there is only so much medication I can take. I'm not so good on follow-through, however, so this is a definite discipline issue for me.

Fortunately Zach doesn't have class tomorrow morning so it won't be a long day. I stayed in the car tonight because it's only a 2 hour class and hardly worth dragging my stuff into the commons.

I spent the weekend doing tons of reading, both fiction and non-fiction. I finished The Reason Driven Life again and then started a book called Border Lands. It's a book of Celtic Christian prayers and some devotional materials as well. Very refreshing and very much a needed tool for me right now. I've been so spiritually devastated the past few years and had pretty much reached rock bottom so this book is like a long, tall drink of cool water after a trip across the desert. I started reading a book about Mystics and Miracles, too. I tend to be skeptical about some of the more "miraculous" aspects, especially when they happen over a thousand years ago but I still enjoy the character study parts of it. I like reading about people.

And I've got the rest of the Thrush Green series to read as well as starting on the Village School series. Sometimes the older stuff is more relevant to me than the more modern books. Plus I'm a major lover of all things British. Someday I hope to go there for an extended visit.

Church yesterday was really good. I can't put my finger on it but everything seemed better. I figure a lot had to do with my depression lifting and feeling more...um...friendly...toward spiritual things. I know I've been fighting a lot of bitterness and resentment since leaving fundamentalism. It's been so hard to try to separate God from fundamentalism but I think it's finally working. I woke up this morning feeling healed. Whether it lasts or not, I don't know, but I'm going to enjoy the feeling for now.

I'm hoping to rent a roto-tiller this week and turn the garden for next summer. I don't want to wait until next year to start on it. I know I'll have to do it again in the spring but it wouldn't be as hard to do if I could get the sod broken up now. I won't put the fence up until the spring though.

I finished knitting a neck warmer for myself and decided, since I have enough yarn, I'm going to knit a rasta hat from a Knitty Gritty pattern. I don't like my hair being flattened down so much so I thought that might be loose enough to wear. I need to get back to my sweater but I'm still crocheting snakes for the windows. Frantically. Before the cold weather comes back. And I did manage to work on my beaded scarf a bit. I'm savoring that so I can make it last. I don't ever get to knit yarn that nice.

I've been watching Supernatural, the first season. I was on a news group several years ago and an actor named Jim Beaver was on there, too. Not that he knows me but we did talk a few times, particularly when his wife was so ill and when she died. So I knew he was in this series and since it's about the kinds of things I like to watch, thought I would pick it up. I've been on the waiting list for a few months so it's probably really popular. But the best part was during one of the episodes which was supposed to be in Southern Indiana and one of the brothers was looking for a missing couple and told one of the people in this fictional town that he had already asked around in Scottsburg and Salem. I nearly jumped off the bed. I was raised in Scottsburg! Lived there all my childhood and didn't leave it until I became and adult. It's such a small town and I've never heard it mentioned in any show before. Although I did enjoy reading the Friendly Persuasion books by Jessamyn West because the books are about the same area: Brown and Scott Counties. Only Scottsburg was called Centerville then.

Also, I love to watch movies that are filmed in locations I've been.

Anyway...it's time to fix Tom's supper and head off to bed and knit on the sweater a bit. I think this might be one of the last few nights before I have to use the furnace again.

TTFN

1 comment:

knittingdragonflies said...

Wow you are getting alot of things done. Good for you.
I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. Seems like it is dark when I leave the house and dark when I come home.
Sigh
Vicki