Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day five of the deer widow's vacation

Actually it doesn't feel like the vacation has started yet since I'm still doing the things I do every day. The only difference is I have the kitchen to myself in the mornings. Other than that it feels pretty much like my normal routine.

I do plan on making some changes to that normal routine though and I'm not going to wait until school is over to do it. I need to get my sleep pattern regulated so I'm going to bed at the same time (or near same time) every night and getting up earlier. I think that will help my fatigue factor immensely. Good restorative sleep. Something I haven't had for over 20 years.

Another change is tearing the house apart (not literally) and making it better organized so I can run it more efficiently, including more cooking and baking from scratch, better storage of foodstuff and a work center that enables me to do more of the cooking and baking.

Less time online. This one will hurt the most, I think, as I have formulated friendships that I don't want to lose. I also use the internet a lot for information. I'll just have to use it more efficiently.

More knitting, spinning and other craftworks.

Clearing out the basement and garage so we can actually use them.

Studying up on gardens, learning how to do home repairs myself and possibly investing in a heat lamp for seedlings since I only have two small windows with southern exposure and a cat that loves to eat seedlings.

I plan on enriching my mind as well by utilizing Open University (no credit but it's free) and reading for pleasure more. And getting back to playing my piano that gets moved more than it gets played.

In doing all of this I also hope to cut back on spending and pad our savings account, especially when the car is paid off in three months time. Some time this summer we will have to replace our roof and we just can't afford to go into deep debt for that. Or deeper debt.

I'm not going to let my pains and fatigue get in the way of this either. I came to realize that this is what I enjoy doing with my life...working in my home and making it pay off, if possible. Even if those aren't real tangible profits. I used to worry that I didn't seem to have any ambitions beyond what I was supposed to have: a career, lots of friends, etc. The bottom line is I'm only unhappy with my life when I think it's not what it's supposed to be. Most of the time, I'm pretty content. I've let myself feel inadequate because I didn't finish my degree and didn't have a career and because I wanted to be a homemaker when everyone else was telling me I needed to be more.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a proud feminist now. I'll never go back to patriarchy and think of myself or any other woman as less than a man. But this really is what I want to do with my life. This really is what makes me feel good about myself and what makes me content with my life.

So just like I'm not going to wait until I lose weight to enjoy my life, I'm not going to wait until school is over before I start really enjoying this, too...guilt-free this time.

Also, since I don't plan on dieting anymore, I need to work on eating well and paying attention to how and why I eat. And adding nature walks (and walking Professor) to my daily routine. No more "exercise" for me. I'd rather play and have fun.

I've been knitting madly today on my cardigan. I settled on a men's sweater pattern from an old Knit 'n Style with a simple, yet beautifully textured, pattern with cables running down the sleeves. It's called Saddle Shouldered Cardigan. I've always wanted to knit a saddle shouldered sweater before and this looks pretty straight-forward so it should be a good learning project.

But my wrists have been bothering me the past hour so I decided to take a break. I put some Mineral Ice on them, which feels great, and might get a load of clothes washed so I can get them on the racks before I go to bed tonight.

I finished Voyager season 2 (with the cliffhanger) and got A Touch of Frost, season 1 and Supernatural, season 2 from the library today so I have lots to watch while knitting on the cardigan. And I probably will work on the beaded scarf as well so I can wear it to the Christmas Eve service since I don't plan on buying any new clothes any time soon. I've got a sewing machine and I need to start using it. Not to mention the thrift store.

Well, off to watch A Touch of Frost and get back to knitting before I start the laundry.

TTFN

No comments: