Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day one of the deer widow's vacation

I'm not so crazy about this hectic pace so soon into my deer widow's vacation. I have altar guild this weekend and my partner is dealing with a husband recovering from surgery in addition to her job so I offered to take it on by myself this weekend. To be honest, I absolutely love doing it so it wasn't a great sacrifice. Until I looked at the calendar and saw that this was Christ the King Sunday (the last Sunday after Pentecost) and the liturgical colors had to be changed. But even then, since I had kidnapped Zach and taken him with me, it wasn't a huge deal and we were done in no time.

I love the quietness of the nave and sanctuary and going about my duties with a real sense of purpose. I'm still not completely sure where I am spiritually but I find a lot of peace in setting up the altar.

Then there was the errands and such. I'm still working out a plan for my living/dining room/den and figured out a plan that will account for the 3 foot Christmas tree (not going up until the week before Christmas this year) and my seedlings come February. Hard to explain what I intend to do but suffice it to say that it involves moving furniture again. And I'm so sick of the floor in there. The previous owners varnished the hard wood floor around the rug they had in the room so when we took the rotting carpet up there was a center part of the floor unfinished (and not even a neat, tidy border on it.) I have had a rug down but it didn't cover much of the room so you can see the bad job done on the floors and since the rug is now about 10 years old, it's so shabby that it needs to go in the garage or the trash. There were some sturdy rugs/carpet at StuffMart that were half the cost of the nicer looking carpets so I bought two thinking they would cover most of the floor. I like rugs or carpet on the floor especially in winter.

Tom won't be happy that I spent $40 on the house but he'll have to get used to it because I'm tired of the way our house looks. It's so shabby. I can deal with frugal to a point but when the house looks this bad, it makes me feel bad...inferior almost.

But the carpet is still in the car because I'm not tackling it tonight. I'll bring it in tomorrow after church but tonight is for showers and getting my clothes ready for church and just resting...plus The Royal is on. And I still have lots of Star Trek: Voyager, season 2 to get through.

I finished the body of the rasta hat and hope to do the brim tonight. After that it's back to the Oblique-ish sweater. I really need a cardigan now.

Well, off to find the kitchen counters and then I shall get ready for bed and knit away the rest of the night.

TTFN

No comments: