Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day two of the deer widow's vacation

Church today was great as usual. Mary's sermons are short and succinct. It doesn't take her an hour to say what she wants to say. Betsy's arrangement at the altar was spectacular: gourds, pumpkins, mums and apples and pears. I just don't have the eye for things like that. But we did go ahead and set up the church for advent because next Sunday, being the fifth Sunday of the month has only one altar guild lady working and re-hanging banners and changing the frontals isn't a one person job.

Afterwards we went to Applebee's to eat and spent way too much money. This has to stop and I have no one to blame but myself. We're not going to KFC for Thanksgiving. I'm going to make homemade pizza instead. Now is the time to get back to cooking and baking from scratch. The fact that school is almost over helps the situation because I'll be home more and not on the road for 12 hours at a time.

I put the two carpets down in the living/dining room/den and it looks really good. You can't see where the varnish is ragged around where the former owner's rug was. Still very crowded with furniture but not as cluttered as I was relentless and threw away a lot of stuff just lying around. And will send a big bag of other things to Bethesda Thrift Store. I have room for our bitty Christmas tree now but I'm not going to put it up until after the fourth Sunday of Advent. I've been putting all the decorations up after Thanksgiving and by Christmas I'm sick of them so this year we'll go by the liturgical calendar.

I got the kitchen straightened up a bit but it still needs a lot of work. The pantry needs to be straightened up and the refrigerator cleaned out. I'm trying to make room in the freezer on the off chance Tom or someone in the hunting camp gets a deer or two.

Then it's off to scrub down the bathroom. We have a problem with massive mildew buildup on the walls and ceiling. As much as I scrub it still gets away from me. I hope to paint next summer for sure. Semi-gloss instead of flat paint this time. Bleach water and a scrub brush still don't put a huge dent in the mildew.

Then I intend to work on the room next to Tom's bedroom which has become the junk room. Unfortunately some of my knitting is up there and is pretty much unusable because of the smoky, cigarette smell. I'll try to hang it out on the line and see if I can get rid of the smell that way.

Once school is out for good I intend to take on the basement, which should take me several weeks because we have to put it out little by little with the trash.

And of course, I need to do some pruning and fertilizing of my fruit trees and hopefully grow a new grapevine from our present one.

It looks to be a busy winter for me. But I know I will enjoy it. When it all boils down to it, this is where I'm happiest. Not out in the real world working for minimum wage, but here trying to make this place pay off in tangible ways. And to work my talents to their potential.

Well, off to put the laundry in the dryer. I hope I don't have to do that much this winter but although it will be dry tomorrow it will be cloudy and then rain for Tuesday. With low temps like this and no sun it takes a couple of days for the clothes to dry. Being home more will help there, too, because I can plan the laundry by the weather forecast a bit better, using the dryer only when I need to. I tried drying clothes on racks but it takes them a couple of days, too, and we have a tiny house so there's not a lot of room for the racks.

It's been another good day even if I haven't knitted a stitch today. Oh...I wore my hat to church today and loved it. I'm going to knit another one...or two. I'm so picky about hats because they don't look so good on me but this one looks pretty darned good, if I do say so myself.

Laundry and Masterpiece: Contemporary tonight as well as watching The Royal that I taped last night. Zach and I just finished Zorro the Gay Blade a few minutes ago and he howled with laughter. I remembered it as being funny but it was so much funnier than my memory remembered.

TTFN

No comments: