Monday, August 10, 2009

Stuff just keeps happenin'

It started out as a pretty good day. I woke up way too early as usual but had a little bit more energy so I started doing some deep cleaning on Zach's room and the bathroom and upkeep on what I had already cleaned.

I was bone tired by midafternoon so I took a short nap after taking a pain pill because I hurt all over but I did manage to nap well and woke feeling tired but rested. Believe me, it makes sense in my head.

Around 5:30 the phone rang and it was Tom. He and his sister went up north to their brother's cabin for some fishing and were due home tonight so I didn't think anything about it. He usually calls when he's about an hour from home. And he was an hour from home, but that wasn't why he called. A semi ran him off the road and sideswiped him and then kept going. He wanted me to call the police because he didn't think this was a 911 emergency.

I told him it was a hit and run and he needed to call the police now. His sister had told him the same thing.

So I fretted while waiting for him to get home. He had assured me no one was injured so that was one worry I didn't have, but with all our vehicle problems, all I could think about was how badly damaged the truck was.

He finally got home and there is an 18 inch gash on the right front fender, down to the metal. And a tiny ding in the right side mirror. Talk about divine intervention. This semi just switched lanes without looking and there was a guard rail to the left of Tom because they were on a bridge so he was squashed between the rail and the truck. He's an excellent driver so he was able to slam on the brakes and get over as far as he could but if they had hit the rail they would have been bounced back into the semi and it would have been all she wrote.

I'm so grateful that no one was injured (although I can't help wishing a hex or two on the driver who blithely damaged our truck and nearly killed my husband and sister in law and no I wouldn't do that even if I could.)

That said, Tom is still a bit shaken and went to bed early.

I keep telling him there are a bunch of lousy drivers out there. And he wonders why Zach is afraid to drive.

Oh, yes, he was after him last week to just suck it up and get his license, after telling me he understands about the OCD.

'Nuff said.

TTFN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry somtimes it really does seem like things just keep happening to us!

I'm glad he is OK!

(((hugs)))