Wednesday, August 19, 2009

As the vacation ticks away

Time has really been speeding by this week. I'm guessing it's because this is the last week of summer vacation and the fates aren't going to let me enjoy it. I've found another full and heavy bag of stuff to take to the thrift store so the trunk is pretty full and I need to empty it tomorrow or I won't be able to fit any groceries in it.

Zach will be getting his permit tomorrow and I've asked him to set the goal of driving himself to class in Beaver Dam by the end of the semester. I'm sure he'll be doing it long before then but giving him lots of leeway lets up on the stress. Stress is never good to dump on a person with OCD. I'm not sure why no one in the family seems to get that but they don't. Frankly, I don't think they believe there is such a thing or that it is what it is. They believe he just needs to "get over it." Just like these same family members think people with Fibromyalgia just need to "get over it" too.

Bad for me, one of Zach's days in Fond du Lac is 12 hours long for two classes. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what to take for supper on that day because we just can't afford to eat out even from the dollar menu. We won't get home until 9:30 p.m. on Monday and turn around and leave by 10:30 Tuesday morning and get home 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night. And 8:30 a.m. in Beaver Dam on Wednesday morning. If it weren't for the hour drive to FDL it wouldn't be so bad but two hours is added to the day and that makes it so long. I do plan on just dropping him off in Beaver Dam though. It's a four hour class and there's no reason for me to wait for him as long as gas stays under $3 a gallon.

I do think he's ready to start short driving excursions on back roads as long as no one else pushes him again.

I don't know when we'll find out about the internship but I'm really hoping it will be in our area. That will save us a lot of money.

We should get the financial aid by the end of September. Until then we have to really pinch pennies so tightly they scream. The pantry is looking a bit emptier but there is still a lot of staples. I just need milk, eggs and some more ground meat that I can divide into half pound packages. I had 5 pounds of ground meat last me almost 3 weeks and I still have a chicken breast, two cans of tuna and some hot dogs left. I think we'll catch back up by the end of this month.

It looks like I'm going to have some green peppers in a short while, too. There are three blossoms on one plant, which confuses me because I thought each plant only produced one pepper at a time, and the other plant has two blossoms. I will chop those bad boys up and keep them in the freezer until we need them so they don't go bad.

All in all, I'm feeling more optimistic about the winter. I rearranged the old dining room/new living room so the couch isn't blocking the heating vent. Trouble is all the other walls are too short for the couch so I angled it a bit. Tom liked it, surprisingly but asked me what I was going to do about the back of the couch/futon because it shows when you first walk in the door. I intended to just drape a blanket over it but in the middle of the night I thought of the water bed headboard his sister had given him. It's narrow and tall and fits perfectly behind the couch. It also has bookshelves in it so I was able to find a place for my books and old vhs tapes I don't want to get rid of yet.

Tom loved it! It's not often he gushes over something I do but he really seemed to mean it. It perked me up a bit, I can tell you.

We're having pizza tonight except I didn't have any spaghetti sauce so I made some out of tomato sauce. I added garlic to the dough (made my own) and it has a different flavor to it. In fact, I don't think I'll go back to spaghetti sauce for pizza again. Zach told me it's the best I've ever made. Both the guys prefer my pizza to store bought or even Domino's or Pizza Hut. I think they're lying but I'll take the praise.

I have some ironing to do tonight after I've done up the dishes and the new season of Ghost Hunters is on tonight so I'm going to finish eating and get my stuff done so I can curl up in bed and knit. I'm working on another baby blanket for Haiti babies. This one is mostly white with black, blue and gray. I'm working with the yarn I got from a woman at church who found this huge bag of yarn at a rummage sale. I think I can get about 4 blankets out of it. She only paid $3 for the whole bag. And there is some yarn there that is a bit too scratchy for newborns that I can knit up into blankets for the fur babies at the Humane Society in our county.

I do have a shawl I'm working on that will be done before long and I want to knit up some grocery bags to sell at church. Our church finances are a bit bleak right now due to the economy and losing several elderly parishioners lately. I love this church and just wish I could afford to give more money but I do what I can. It's all I can do.

It's going to be a lovely cool evening tonight so I should sleep well. I've had some good sleep for a few nights but last night the dog was going ballistic over some critter in the yard again. He's lost some weight since his leg healed up and when I checked on him this morning he was lying on the porch and his leash and collar were in the middle of the yard. Just minutes after I brought him in, the paper boy and his siblings rode by on their bikes. I shudder to think what would have happened if he had been off his leash. I've been keeping a closer eye on him since then. I think I'm going to limit him to the back yard during the day and only let him out in front for a wee in the night. We've had a lot of foot and bike traffic lately and he gets very agitated over it.

Off to wash up and get the ironing done.

TTFN

No comments: