Saturday, August 8, 2009

Life is good after all

Tom left this morning with his sister to go up north to their brother's cabin for a weekend of fishing. While I was left with the option of driving her car, I'm not comfortable doing that because, of course, what can go wrong, will.

But then it does anyway. Zach and I decided that since I never get vacations we would take a mini one and go to Cousins for a sandwich and soup. And expensive option that I shouldn't have done considering the money situation but we did it anyway. I was going to swing by StuffMart and pick up some bolts, washers and nuts so I can attach the headboard to my bed and have my room feel more like a bedroom rather than a living room that has been turned into a bedroom. You know...that temporary feeling. I'm looking for permanent. Very tired of feeling like there is no real room for me in this house.

I digress.

Anyway, we came out and the car wouldn't start. It clicked, but it wouldn't turn over. Luckily I had some jumper cables in the trunk so we popped the hood and Zach sort of held the cables up so anyone driving around the parking lot would see we had the means to help someone help us.

A wonderful man and his family stopped and tried to help but the battery wouldn't take a charge. Now this battery is located in the wheel well of the car. Not easy to see. Not easy to get to. You have to remove the air filter compartment to even see it.

As it got darker, another guy came over and looked around, told us we weren't getting a connection because the terminal is too badly corroded. Great! We had information. He was a mechanic but couldn't stay to help but I assured him he helped us immensely.

I trotted off across a huge parking lot to StuffMart to get the tools I needed to repair the battery, not having a single tool in the car. But by the time I got back, the car was running and Zach was standing outside looking for me. The nice man and his family got done eating and came out, cleaned the terminal for me and put everything back together. Zach thanked him profusely and the nice man and his family got back in his car...to a dead battery.

Fortunately the battery charge on our car was fine so he jumped his car from ours and went his merry way. I tried to give him some money earlier but he wouldn't take it.

There are some wonderful people in this world.

And now I have some tools for the car that will stay there in case I break down again only not right across a parking lot from a store.

Life is good.

No comments: