Thursday, August 27, 2009

Get out the sweaters

I'm cold.

And I'm positively giddy about it. I plan on leaving the windows open and putting a blanket on the bed tonight. I'm sorry for the farmers; I really am. But this is like a reward for me living through a very cold winter with very little heat in the house. I don't have to endure a really hot summer. At least not so far.

I hadn't planned on doing any errands today, instead using this as a day to get caught up on chores and rest, but the personnel director at Tom's work informed him at change of shift that our prescription insurance will run out on Monday and we'll be without for a few weeks so I need to get my prescriptions re-filled before then. Because they require 24 hours notice, that didn't give me a lot of time. Plus, I can't refill more than a week out so I'm going to be stuck before coverage starts up again.

I'm pretty sure they're renegotiating our health care coverage, too, so I expect to have our premiums go up yet again and our coverage go down just like it has the past few years. We're already to the point where we can't afford to actually use our insurance much at all. I expect the free physical to be history very soon. If that happens, I won't be having physicals anymore which means my doctor won't prescribe my medicine anymore. If I won't go in to see her yearly, she won't prescribe my meds. What a system!

But yeah...our health care is top notch here in the old US of A. I try to remind myself that I have insurance, however crappy it may be, but that my niece has been living for years without it. Or that there are people out there unable to get preventive care because no doctor will see them until their situation becomes critical and they have to go to the Emergency Room, by which time their health is severely compromised and the costs to fix it (if indeed they can at that late date) have gone through the roof.

Or that in a few short months, Zach will be uninsured.

How pathetic that we as a nation have so little regard for our fellow citizens that we fight against universal health care because "it's not my responsibility." I guess I'm not my brother's keeper after all.

Sorry. End of rant.

On the plus side, I talked to my doctor's nurse today and she's agreed to do my labs before my annual physical so I don't have to come in for an office visit a week later. That's a good thing.

As a result of the running around (had to visit the library as well) I got little done today but I am truly not worried about it. I've done very well to keep things tidy and meals prepared, laundry done, bills paid, errands run. I've got to stop buying into the myth that because I'm not out there bringing in a paycheck, I'm a burden. I earn my keep. And I do it well.

Off to fix a very unhealthy, but economic and tasty, meal of hot dogs, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. Easy, fast, and comfort food. I'm so good to me.

If only those bad-for-you-foods weren't so tasty.

TTFN

No comments: