Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I'm learning to love lunar eclipses

I'm beginning to be convinced that lunar eclipses affect your energy. I've been going non-stop since last night when I got this unexplained surge of energy. I'm hoping I don't lose my momentum tomorrow though.

Last night I decided, after months of getting an average of 5 hours sleep (with the occasional 6-7 hour night) that something had to change. So I moved the dining table down to the basement (with Zach's help, of course) and moved the couch back into the dining room, which is now the den and moved the full size bed from the garage to my room, the former living room. The box spring and mattress were really rough looking; I double checked for critters and didn't see any although I did destroy a lot of spider eggs. I have a two inch thick foam pad for the mattress that really helped because you can see where the springs in the mattress are just under the fabric. And believe me, it's like the princess and the pea. Fortunately the foam pad worked perfectly and I didn't feel a single spring.

Surprisingly Tom was very pleased with the changes as he now has a living room of sorts to relax in before he goes to bed at night after a long shift. Usually he hates it when I rearrange furniture. Last weekend he was watching tv in my room/living room and fell asleep. I really needed a nap that afternoon and there was no place to sit and relax, let alone snooze. I ended up sitting at the dining table with my head on my arms trying to sleep. Zach found me like that and gave me his pillow. Tom woke up and apologized and gave me my bed back. That was partly the impetus for the change. It's not fair to him and it's not fair to me. So now we have options.

And while I didn't sleep long last night...another 5 hours...I did sleep much better. I wasn't worried about the leg falling out from under the couch or the futon sinking between the bars that it rests on. Complete restful sleep. Although I could have slept another 6 hours or so.

Must be the lunar eclipse.

So today I did a thorough cleaning on the living room/den, including dusting furniture and getting rid of all those dust elephants (much too big for bunnies.) I really should do this more often than once a year.

I did some sorting as well and dug out all my piano books and sheet music. I really am going to start playing again.

Then I decided to do the shopping tonight so tomorrow was free for yard work. Wednesday isn't the best day for shopping because the shelves were mighty bare. I did get everything on my list and my total was half what I normally spend. But I will have to pick up two things that I forgot to add to my list but that's under $20 so I'm still good.

I'm going to fix macaroni and cheese (homemade) tonight but first I'm going to finish up the kitchen. I've got the floor to mop and then I'm done. After supper, I must get the bathroom scrubbed and the plants watered.

Then I plan on a nice hot shower and some knitting and crocheting. I'm working on the beaded scarf again, usually one repeat a night, which is about an inch. Last night I dropped two stitches back several rows so I ended up doing two repeats and that's all I had the energy for. I've started a crocheted shawl made of motifs, which I don't really enjoy that much but these are triangular instead of round so it makes it a bit more interesting. It's made of crochet thread, which I do enjoy working with a lot. Plus it's an economical way of making a very light, lacy shawl.

I also plan on coming up with a pattern for some dog blankets for the Humane Society. I'm thinking crocheted squares (not granny squares) that I can just sort out later. Or I might just knit some modular squares. They knit up quickly.

Zach and I are going to start turning the garden next week. We're going to just do it by hand. I figure a half-hour each will accomplish a lot before fall. And I can start adding the leaves when they start falling and won't have to worry about doing it all in one weekend. Historically that has never come to fruition. Plus we can use the exercise.

And speaking of exercise, I'm convinced that some of this fatigue is because of the sugar I'm eating. So I'm going cold turkey on the sweet stuff and replacing snacking with exercise. I need to get in shape before winter or I'm going to be hurting. Plus I need to motivate Zach. He's too young to start having the problems I'm having.

Well, my break is over and it's time to mop the floor. Maybe I'll catch the lunar eclipse tonight. At any rate, full moons are nice to look at, too.

TTFN

No comments: