Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Odds & Ends

I meant to post yesterday but we ended up in Fond du Lac all day, unnecessarily as it turned out. Not a big deal but here at the end of the school year, I was so bored. 

I made a trip to the thrift store Monday intending to just drop off a bag of clothes that I no longer wear (not because I outgrew them but because I never really liked them.)  Zach wanted to pop in and look around so off we went.  I finally found a tea pot!  I've been looking for one for a few years now.  StuffMart and Shopko don't have them and neither did the thrift store.  This time there were four there.  Two with Asian designs on them, one teeny one-cup pot and a two cup stoneware pot. I got the stonewear one.

I also found a summer shirt to wear over my t-shirts.  With my prosthesis, I'm a bit self-conscious about wearing knitwear (since it's not really the right size for me with my weight gain) so I like to wear cotton shirts over them.  Zach found a long-sleeved cotton shirt he liked and I got a couple of vhs tapes.  I know...they are so not in, but for a dollar I thought it was a good investment.  I got Angela's Ashes and Zach got The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney.)  He had that when he was younger and loaned it to an adult family member on Tom's side and when he went to get it back, they claimed they had never borrowed it.  I really hate to loan things out anymore.  I loaned a book to his (late) mother and she traded it in on some more paperbacks. It was one of my favorite books and it's not in the library system.  But I don't want to buy it so I'll just wait and see if it shows up at the thrift store in the future.  Again, when I asked for the book back, she swore up and down she had never had it, then claimed she didn't know it was mine (my name was on the inside cover,) then remembered she had traded it in for more books.  Oh well, too bad.  No offer to recompensate me.

I also found a book on acrylic painting, a pretty thorough how-to.  And the full and uncut version of The Stand along with Harvest Home, by Thomas Tryon.  Normally I don't buy books anymore since I can get them from the library but they don't have the uncut version of The Stand.  And Harvest Home was a guilty pleasure thing.

I haven't managed to get any more work done outside.  Being gone all day yesterday wore me out and I have a ton of laundry to do today.  My future garden is getting smaller and smaller in my imagination.  It's probably going to end up with lettuce, zucchini and some herbs.  And maybe some pumpkin.  Oh, and onions.  I'm also hoping to get some strawberries planted for next summer.  And I would like to plant some bush beans but I don't know.  I'll have to turn the garden by hand and I don't know how much Zach and I can accomplish before the weekend.

It's rainy today so we won't get the yard mowed.  We tried to use the reel mower but the grass is too high and won't cut the dandelions anyway.  The power mower is broken but can be used if I have vice grips to hold the cable in place.  Tom doesn't mow so it's up to Zach and me to get it done.  We definitely have to mow tomorrow if it's nicer.

I canceled Professor's appointment with the provision that if, in a week, he's not walking on it most of the time, I'll re-schedule.  And of course, today he won't walk on it at all.  Truthfully, I know he can, but I think he is so afraid of the pain that he won't.  With the rainy weather today, I know my bones are giving me grief, so I imagine his are as well.  He's been putting full weight on the leg and doesn't limp when he does use it.  And his muscle tone is vastly improved but I'll take him back next week if he isn't up to 75% usage.

I'm anxious for today to be over.  This is the last day of school for Zach until the fall.  He's not taking any classes this summer because all he has left are his degree classes and they aren't available.  I have to make an appointment for my mammogram and I need to see the surgeon next month for my annual breast exam but tonight should be the last night trip I have to make until fall.  I'm thinking of getting a part-time job at McSnacky's as well, partly for the money and partly for the social security.  And a work history, as well.  I'll decide today what I'm going to do.

I do have a ton of things to do on the house and yard this summer but I should have time even if I work three days a week.  We have to plan it so we're both not working the same day because of transportation overlap.

I turned the heel on my dad's sock but didn't get anything else done because I re-arranged my bedroom once again.  I'm always trying to find a better way to arrange the house but what I was doing with it wasn't working.  It was too crowded and I had to move furniture to shut the blinds at night and turn on the nightlight.  This way I don't have to do that.

Well, the clothes in the dryer are done so I'm off to finish up and then maybe take a short nap before we leave for school tonight.  And we should be home earlier because he just has a test today.  I sure won't miss being in the car three days a week.

TTFN

No comments: