Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to me

My day began at 5:30 a.m. when I heard Tom coax Professor outside for his morning wee and heard the click of the long lead being attached to his collar.  Professor's collar.  Not Tom's.  Tom doesn't have a collar.  Darn it.

He knows that Professor is supposed to be on a short leash with no running, jumping or going up or down hill.  So I got out of bed to remind him of that.  Okay I was a bit shrill about it but it was 5:30 a.m. for pete's sake and he knew he wasn't supposed to be doing that.

I couldn't get back to sleep after that so I turned on the television and watched mindlessly before I decided to get up and fix breakfast before church.  Normally I fast on Sunday mornings but my tummy was all rumbly and yeah...I get that fasting when you're not hungry is a lot easier, but I've got blood sugar issues to deal with so I fixed some eggs for the protein and got dressed.

When we got home, Tom was in the back yard with Professor in his arms, claiming that he had him on a short leash.  It was the long leash and I believe he didn't go out with him until we got home because he was outside in 50 degree weather in his housecoat and boxers and no shoes. And he was way too defensive about the whole thing.  If you're going to be good at lying, don't offer up too much information.  It will trip you up every time.

Sigh.  It's not the first time I've not been able to trust him.

Professor is feeling better and is using the leg to scratch with but otherwise he's not using it much at all...rarely puts any weight on it.  I've got a couple of days to decide what to do but I'm still praying the medicine will fix the problem.  I think the nerve damage is better so that's a relief, but I think his ligament is torn and NSAIDS won't fix that.  The church will help me out with money for his surgery so that's a relief.  I'll pay them back but it will be loads off my mind to know we can afford the surgery.

Taking the leg off will be a last ditch attempt at fixing him.  Unless the surgery is more involved and will cost in the thousands.  I hate the thought that I have to decide the issue based entirely on money.  It seems so wrong.

On the knitting front:  I started knitting some socks for my dad.  I'm using the Yarn Harlot's Earl Grey pattern with some modifications.  I'm just using a double mini-cable down the sides rather than the intricate pattern she designed.  I like the simplicity much better.  The yarn is Paton's Kroy sock yarn in a brown/gray twisted color.  The color on the ball band is a number so I don't know that that would help anyone.  I got three skeins because mens' socks generally take more yarn but I don't think I will need a lot of it and this might go with some other sock yarn I've got leftover,  hiding in my drawer so I can maybe get another pair out of the remnants.

Coming along nicely on the beaded scarf.  I'm savoring it, knitting only half a repeat each night. It's like having one piece of chocolate a night.  You just have to make it last as long as possible.

And the baby blanket continues...forever, it seems.  Still it's nice, mindless knitting for those times when I want to watch rather than listen to tv.

I'm making progress with my drawing.  I'm spending more time each day on it and trying to work more systematically, while at the same time, working on things that interest and challenge me.  I'm still so far behind where I used to be but at least I'm seeing some progress.  

I didn't get the garden planted although the rain barrel is in place.  And nearly full already.  I've been trying to save milk jugs (Tom keeps crushing them and throwing them out no matter how many times I ask him not to) so I can fill them and store them in the garage.  I'm going to have to take care of the garden myself though and I won't be able to get to it before Friday.  So another week gone.  I've given up on some of the things I wanted to plant and will just plant a few things that don't require a lot of effort.

My parsley is coming along and finally the lavender is growing.  This is like the fifth time I've tried.  I've got a few pepper plants coming up as well (in my pots in front of the window) but I don't know what the rest of the stuff is.  I should have written it all down because I know my memory isn't what it used to be.

I'm thinking of putting in my application at McSnacky's for the summer and then cut my hours back in the winter when I have to drive Zach to school.  He's going to get his permit renewed after school is over but will only work on side roads where the driving is slow and little traffic. It's a start.  I figure if he can get his confidence without having to deal with high speeds and people crossing the center line or driving up his butt, then maybe we can work on highways later.

Well, I have time for a quick nap before I have to pick him up at work.  He was going to take me out to eat after church but had to be in work at 12 noon so we're going after he gets off at 3.  I've got time for a snooze and maybe a row or two on the socks.

I hope everyone has nice day today.  I'm going to try my best to have one.

TTFN

2 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I think Friday is still okay for planting...the garden center told me May 15th for my tomatoes. I hope I get tomatoes this year...it's been a few years since I've planted them. They're the good old Big Boys. You reminded me I'd love to have peppers, too.

knittingdragonflies said...

OOO I like the pattern, I know your dad will enjoy the socks!
I have my tomatoes in and now I think I need peppers, I haven't grown any in a great while. Everything tastes so good out of your own ground.
Vicki