Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I must learn to pace myself

A quick sketch I did of Professor.  He doesn't pose very often so I have to catch him while he's sleeping.  I did both of these a few weeks ago.

A self-portrait.  Except it doesn't really look like me at all.  Well, maybe the eyebrows.

It was a very busy day today.  I cleaned up the area in front of the garage a bit, cleared out some weeds, used weed killer on all the thistles I could find, cleaned out one side of the front flower garden, planted some flowers there, did two loads of clothes, cooked supper and worked on my drawing for about 2+ hours.

Oh, and I knitted on the blanket for about 15 minutes.

I still have dishes to do and clothes to fold and put away.

But all that work doesn't even show.  There is so much that needs to be done that it will take a few weeks of working like that before it actually shows.

I had a hard time with the drawing today.  I kept feeling like a failure and wanted to quit.  I pushed myself, though, and managed to work on elemental stuff, like circles, ellipses and cubes. Then I allowed myself to just draw.  I don't think I'm as bad as I think I am, but I know I have a long way to go.  The corner studio that I set up is working for me, though.  There is plenty of light, even in the evening and while the chair isn't comfortable, it's not too bad.

I've never done a lot of measuring or checking of angles when I draw.  I tend to work more intuitively.  I tried to do the measuring today and while there isn't a lot of difference in the outcome, it does look a bit more polished if I do.  So I will attempt to use proportions more.

I didn't walk Professor today.  I know I should but I'm really wiped out.  I have no more energy left.  I'm even planning on leaving the dishes in the sink to wash up tomorrow morning (what doesn't go in the dishwasher, that is.)  I'm ready to change into my pajamas and curl up on the couch and knit until bedtime.

I ate vegetarian today.  I would love to do it all the time but I don't know if I've got the will-power.  I still have to cook meat for the guys and sometimes it just smells so good.  Still, I know with all my health problems, vegetarian is the best option for me.  I'm using Rice Milk instead of Soy though.  I get nervous about too much soy, having had a cancer that was estrogen-driven. I'll try to take it day by day.

I also need to get back to being more frugal.  It's so easy to slip out of the mode when you're tired or busy.  I have to catch up the checkbook tomorrow for sure and I'm a bit nervous about how much we've spent lately.  Still, denial isn't a good state of mind either.

Well, I can't just keep sitting here.  I've got to finish up so I can crash for the night.

TTFN

2 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I like your self-portrait. Having tried doing one myself, I know how surprising they are when finished. Keep up the good work!

Kathy said...

Thanks. Zach asked me if that's how I really saw myself because he said he saw someone younger and prettier. It's so nice to have a son like this.

Kathy