Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday miscellany

I didn't get anything done yesterday except some cat-napping (which isn't kidnapping a cat at all) and some Pasion de Gavilanes (while knitting on the baby blanket.)  I got next to no sleep on Wednesday night.  I hate when that happens because I never feel like I catch up.  I did manage to clean up the kitchen a bit when I had a burst of energy near bedtime.

Which of course, wakes me up when I really want to go to sleep.

And today was errand day so I haven't gotten a whole lot done today either.  Yet.

It's still daylight so I plan on working on the front flower gardens and maybe more cleaning in the back yard.  Tomorrow I have to do some weed-whacking for sure.  My hostas are finally coming up but they're hidden in the knee high weeds.  I also have more hostas to plant.  I think I'll keep them together with the ones that are already there.  I need to find a place to plant strawberries as well.  I couldn't find a strawberry pot so they're going in the ground.

I bought a bird feeder today.  It was under $5.00 so I figured it was worth the money.  Last night while I was cooking supper a pair of cardinals flew onto the back patio looking for food. They had such personality I thought it would be nice to have more birds around.  It's a wild bird feeder.  I mean...finches are nice, but I like lots of birds.

We're cooking out tonight.  Tom's brother used to give us all the stuff he had that was broken and he didn't want to take to the landfill so we've got a gas grill that we've never used because it's...duh...broken.  Our old Weber that we got at a yard sale for $5 13 years ago is falling apart every time you move it so we're going to use the gas grill without the gas and just charcoal.  Why not?  I'm sure we can get rid of the tank with no problem.

I do plan on getting some more drawing done tonight.  I need to put more effort into it and spend more time on it.  I thought I might work on writing as well, but I think I'll do well to concentrate on writing this blog and not worry about other writing for now.  I need to continue to push myself.  Next month's theme on John Howe's site is Illumination.  I have an idea or two but putting what I see in my mind on paper isn't my strong point.  It might take me the whole month to figure it out.

I see the artists there critique the newbies with such tact and care.  I just hope I can take the criticism (constructive, of course) and not let it defeat me.  I won't learn otherwise.  I guess when you've lived a lifetime being criticized for doing the things you love to do, it's not easy to accept it in a positive spirit.  I remember in high school I wanted to take journalism with the guarantee that I would be the editor of the school newspaper my senior year, but my mother refused to let me.  Since she worked in the school office, I couldn't get by with anything so I didn't get to do it. They had my life mapped out for me in the medical field.  I had no choice about anything else.  I wanted to take art; I had to take band.

I wrote a "book" when I was in grade school and asked my mother to type it for me so I could send it to someone to publish (how naive was I?) but I found it in the trash.  Instead of taking it out and keeping it or typing it myself, I just left it there.  But I never asked her for help again.

Last year she told me I should get into writing since I was so good at it.  I just had no words to respond with.

My art, I just kept to myself.  I had learned my lesson.

So now, it's hard to look at criticism as being a positive thing.

But I will try.

It's just that it's so hard to get past my fear of failure.

I got a book from the library today called The Unlikely Disciple that I heard about on Ravelry. Zach took it from me when I got into the car and has been reading it ever since.  It's about a young man who went to Liberty University (Jerry Falwell U) and his experiences there.  He's obviously not a fundamentalist so it should be interesting reading.  If I ever get it back from Zach.  Not to worry though.  I have a Stephen King bio to read besides the Assassin's Apprentice. And Sex and the City to watch.  After I finish Pasion de Gavilanes.  Another thing I like to watch yearly.  Otherwise I'd watch it over and over and burn out on it.

I tend to do that about a lot of things.

I never got into Sex and the City when it was on HBO or even now in syndication, but I watched the movie and liked it.  So I thought I would watch the series.  

Well, off to get some things done.

TTFN




No comments: